Old Penn 10/0 on Bamboo Pole

Started by Darin Crofton, October 14, 2018, 06:09:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redsetta

This is a great story and thread, thanks for sharing Darin.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Darin Crofton

Quote from: redsetta on October 17, 2018, 06:51:41 PM
This is a great story and thread, thanks for sharing Darin.
Cheers, Justin
Thanks Justin!
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Donnyboat

well Darin, when are we going to get the  story, been great so far, thanks for sharing, Ted you say the reel dates back to the 1950 or sixty, it look like it has roller bearings, what Date did Penn start installing them, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Cuttyhunker

If you're not familiar with tearing down the old Senators, there are plenty of you tubes as a guide. Like Steve, I've never seen a roller tip top quite like that, probably home made or from a small rod-builder back in the day. Good score.
Doomed from childhood

Darin Crofton

So as the story goes... The man who sold me his Father's reel was about 65-70yrs old, he said his Dad used the reel up until his death in 1986.
One thing I loved that he told me is his Father was old school and never used a fishfinder or navagation when fishing, but he would always bring home
fish though. The Dad called this reel his "Good Ole Trusty", and he caught a lot of fish on it over the years, his goal though was catching big Groupers
when he went. The Son said he remembers his Dad bringing home a 200+ pound Jewfish (aka Goliath Grouper) one time back when it was legal and
said he caught one much bigger after that on the same day, but let it go. He didn't really want to sell it because it of course reminded him of his
Father, but he needed to get rid of all his extra stuff, they were moving into a small condo in a retirement community soon. Lastly, he wants me
to send him a pic of the first fish I catch with his Dad's reel and I told him I would for sure.

Cuttyhunker

I play some golf near Hernando and thought when I got there I'd swing by and take a peek. Glad you got it, I'm setting up my boat to troll with old Penn 49's and retro rods, you go get some salt on the old girl and enjoy!!
Doomed from childhood

Darin Crofton

Quote from: Cuttyhunker on October 18, 2018, 07:39:41 PM
I play some golf near Hernando and thought when I got there I'd swing by and take a peek. Glad you got it, I'm setting up my boat to troll with old Penn 49's and retro rods, you go get some salt on the old girl and enjoy!!
Great, let me know if you ever come to Tampa, I'd love for you to see it. Probably won't touch it for awhile as well, so there's time.
That sounds fun with the old 49's, I'm fixing up some 349's to deep drop with.
Thanks!

Cuttyhunker

I cleaned up one of your shots and you can see the headplate 10/0 logo under the eccentric. in the early 50's it was moved to under the lug so you scored an early gen2 Senator, if no part numbers a little older.
Doomed from childhood

Darin Crofton

Quote from: Cuttyhunker on October 18, 2018, 09:38:01 PM
I cleaned up one of your shots and you can see the headplate 10/0 logo under the eccentric. in the early 50's it was moved to under the lug so you scored an early gen2 Senator, if no part numbers a little older.
Wow, thanks for the info Cutty! I'm not going to check for part numbers for a little while, but will post again when I do.

Darin Crofton

If anyone wants a wall hanger let me know, I don't really have room for it and from you guys advice I don't want to split up this combo and use the reel.
It should probably stay just the way it is. So I'm going to sell it to someone who really wants a piece of history and can envision it hanging somewhere
in their home or office. Let me know if you're interested and I'm sure we could work something out, not wanting to make a bunch of money on it, just want
the rod and reel to go to someone who appreciates it. Thank you, Darin

Maxed Out

Did you sell this combo yet ??..or did you decide to keep it ?? Just curious

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Darin Crofton

Quote from: Maxed Out on October 30, 2018, 12:22:55 AM
Did you sell this combo yet ??..or did you decide to keep it ?? Just curious

Ted
Sorry Ted I just saw this. I sold it to a member on here. Didn't really have room for it, sold it for what I paid, wanted it to have a good home!