Old Penn 10/0 on Bamboo Pole

Started by Darin Crofton, October 14, 2018, 06:09:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darin Crofton

I found someone offering this old combo and it's a very intriguing find. Tell me what you guys think, he's asking $165 for the combo?
Here's how the ad reads:

Not used since 1986 - owned by my father. Penn Senator Salt Water rod and reel, 10/0 one piece solid Bamboo Rod -
This very heavy duty. Stamped on Reel : There is NO rust. Penn Senator Penn Fishing Tackle Mfg. Co. Philadelphia, Pa.

I did not clean it but looks as if metal will clean nicely
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Darin Crofton

and a couple more:

1badf350

Thats been on Craigslist forever. If it were local to me I would have bought it.
I think that reel will clean up nicely.
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

xjchad

If it were near me, I'd jump on it too!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

oc1

Nice.  The rod looks like hickory in the photo.
-steve

54bullseye

I would buy it !!!   John Taylor

Darin Crofton

Thanks for all the feedback! I had a feeling some would chime in with this sentiment.

Donnyboat

the reel should come up good, I think the rod is worth that much without the reel, good luck cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Maxed Out

Very cool combo Darin. Love the one piece rod, and the reel looks like it has tons of potential.

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

oldmanjoe

Quote from: oc1 on October 14, 2018, 08:59:19 AM
Nice.  The rod looks like hickory in the photo.
-steve
I too thick it is hickory .       That is a good find .     Joe

Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bill B

That's worth picking up.  As a package Great Wall hanger and the reel is definitely a user...Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Darin Crofton

Thanks everybody, going to pick the combo up on Tuesday, will post some photos here when I get home...

Darin Crofton

So I picked up the old combo and was blown away at the story and history of the rod and reel (Story Added Below).
I'm now planning/researching for the upgrades that might be possible for this reel after I clean it up. I haven't restored an old reel
yet, so will need to research for the info to do it right. I'd love to know more about the rod, but there's no markings on it? The
man said he thought it was bamboo, but he was just guessing, he doesn't remember his Father ever saying. The rod feels super
strong and well built, has a neat gripping feel above the reel from the way they stained/sealed it. It also is flat on the top part of
the rod when you're in fighting position and is rounded underneath (I hope that made sense). Hope you guys enjoy the pictures, and
any knowledge on the rod and upgrades for the reel would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Darin

So as the story goes... The man who sold me his Father's reel was about 65-70yrs old, he said his Dad used the reel up until his death in 1986.
One thing I loved that he told me is his Father was old school and never used a fishfinder or navagation when fishing, but he would always bring home
fish though. The Dad called this reel his "Good Ole Trusty", and he caught a lot of fish on it over the years, his goal though was catching big Groupers
when he went. The Son said he remembers his Dad bringing home a 200+ pound Jewfish (aka Goliath Grouper) one time back when it was legal and
said he caught one much bigger after that on the same day, but let it go. He didn't really want to sell it because it of course reminded him of his
Father, but he needed to get rid of all his extra stuff, they were moving into a small condo in a retirement community soon. Lastly, he wants me
to send him a pic of the first fish I catch with his Dad's reel and I told him I would for sure.

Darin Crofton

and some more pics