Shimano Triton Beast Master rod 66"

Started by Decker, October 15, 2018, 06:34:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Decker

Can anyone provide information on this rod?   It is 66" and has a serial number.   All roller guides.  looks very strong. What type of fishing would it be used for?  Any idea of weight class?   For trolling, chunking?   I know little to nothing about offshore equipment.  I was thinking to keep it in case I might one day go out on a tuna party boat trip, but have my doubts about whether this is the right rod.  Thanks.

Donnyboat

Hi Joe, I have a Triton Beast Master rod with runners & roller tip, that has 15 to 18Kg on it, your rod looks much stronger, plus full rollers, I would think it is a 24 kg rod, that should handle plenty of trawling, depending on the reel your going to use, & what you strike setting will be, on the reel, good luck, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

SoCalAngler

Beast Masters are nice rods if you get the older ones built in Japan. On the one I own right above the stripper guide has the model number and line test range. Without at least a model number it will he hard to say exactly what you have there.

My rod is a BR 1607 rated 50-100, I use it for a 80 lb troller as well as live bait for bigger tuna

Decker

Thanks, guys.  I will look for another label above the stripper guide. 

steelfish

nice finding Joe

"triton beastmaster" was the flagship name for rods and reels for shimano few years back, as my compa Mark just said, those were made in Japan so, expect good quality on the materials used.

I think its a good idea to keep it, uninstall all the rollers, bearings, etc on the guides to clean them and oild them to ensure they will work perfect when the time comes for a nice fish.

The Baja Guy

Decker

Thanks, Alex.  It looks like a really powerful rod to me.  It could definitely use some TLC.  I don't know much about this class of tackle, so have lots of questions...

About the rollers.  My conception is that rollers are primarily for trolling, to stand up to the constant pressure.  Is that true?  Is there any reason why full rollers would not be good for live bait or chunking?  I doubt I'd be trolling.

This rod is short at 5'6".  I understand that it gives good leverage against a strong fish.  If I were to go out on a NJ party boat for tuna, I'd be fishing over a rail, and standing about four feet or so above the waterline.  Does a rod this size work in that situation, or would a longer one be better?

Also I was wondering what reel to put on this.  A Senator 6/0 or Daiwa Sealine 600H are the reels I had in mind.  It came with a Sealine 400H (maybe that gives some indication of weight class) but I've heard that a 400 is light for bigger tuna.

I may ask Bill (our local Ohana tuna fisherman) to comment.  

bill19803

Joe

choice  of   rods  is a  function  of  fishing   style  to   some degree. If  you plan  on  using   rail fishing  technique  then  this  is probably  too   short.  Youd only have maybe     4  feet   outboard  of   rail .  If  you plan  on   pump  and  wind   style  then  it   might be  ok  for length.  The   key  is  to have lots  of lifting power in  tip  for  either  style. Cant  really  tell    how  it  compares  on  that  score.
Me im partial  to  rail   style  since im  old  goat  and      dont have   arm   strength  like  a young  buck,  so  i   stick   with  longer   rod     with   big  butt  grip for  rail  work.  Guides  ?   well  rollers  have   caught a heck of a lot of   giant   fish  but they  must be maintained or  you have a  catastrophe waiting   to happen.  Disassembly   and  clean  and  lube after  every  trip. In  addition  if   fish   runs    towards   other  end of   boat  then  line  sometimes  touches   frames  and   pow   its over. Ceramic   rings    are  less    maintenance,  withstand   side    play  and    last long   time.  Im  still using  my  first   ceramic  ring    guide   fitted  rod   for  bluefish  and  they  are  at least   20 years  old.

A  great    6/0   will  do  fine  a  crappy one   wont  but if  you tangle  with  a  big  eye/sword   you are  gonna   wish  you had     9/0  or   something  gold  or  silver  for a reel

My personal  gear  is   8   ft  calstar, long  foregrip,  best  ceramics i  can    find,   rated  at  least   80  lb   and    130   hollow  core  cortland  braid(easier  to  work  with)  and i have  an arsenal of  gold  and  silver  reels  to  choose  from,  depending on   my  mood, phase of  moon   and other  irrelevant  reasons.

If i were  starting out  id   go  with   9/0   with   ss sleeve,   at  least    7-0    rod  with     ceramic  rings.  After  many years of the head boat  style   tuna  fishing  i  go   with   way  more powerful  gear then i need  for the average  fish,  but   i  dont lose the  exceptional   fish  because  of   gear inadequacies and there are a lot of  exceptional  fish out there--200 lb big  eyes, 150  lb   swords

Just  my opinion for  whatever its  worth
bill

Decker

Donnyboat

Yes good facts Bill, but as Joe was saying he may only use it, for one or two trips, so Joe may not wish to spend to much money, with an upgraded 114H or any reel 6/0 size that is upgraded to S steel main sleeve & steel main gear, with greased CF drag, would handle aprox 500 M of Braid, & still have room for a short top shot, maybe 30 M, but thats your call Joe, the larger rod would be good, depending if you wish to spend the exstra money, good luck, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Dominick

Hey Joe as stated above that rod is too short for party boats.  It is ideal for fishing all big game from an private boat with a fighting belt.  Clean up the rollers and hang on to it.  When you get an opportunity to use it I can send the Tank to use with that rod.  The Tank has brought is lots of big fish and the last was a 300 lb halibut (estimated).  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Decker

Appreciate the good advice, fellas.  

Dominick, thanks for offering the Tank.   I need to go visit my cousin in Kodiak; he's a hunting and fishing machine. ;D

redsetta

Hi Joe,
I have (what appears to be) the same rod.
I use it for trolling, livies and deep drops.
It's rated 30/50 and I have it matched to its original partner, the BeastMaster 30/50.
The rod works flawlessly with the 30-40lb+ drag range I'm using.
It has really nice suppleness in the top third, but great low-down power too.
They're hen's teeth down here in NZ.
If you decide it's 'surplus to requirements', let me know!  ;) ;D
All the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

steelfish

Quote from: Decker on October 16, 2018, 05:45:09 PM

About the rollers.  My conception is that rollers are primarily for trolling, to stand up to the constant pressure.  Is that true?  Is there any reason why full rollers would not be good for live bait or chunking?  I doubt I'd be trolling.

compadre, nothing wrong with live bait or cut bait fishing with roller other than the weight compared to regular ceramic guides, I actually have a factory seeker 6ft 80lb AR rod that I use for dropper loop fishing on reefs and its really nice, in my mind its less friction on the line when dropping 20oz lead 600ft with roller guides than the friction on ceramic guides x tons of times during the day.
I dont know if apply to your kind of fishing but I only use that rod with reels with 80# braid or 60# mono, any lighter line could get into the sides of the rollers and the guide frame.
The Baja Guy

SoCalAngler

My rod is only 6' and I use it on party boats. Here in So Cal until the last few years you needed to go on party boats to reach tuna big enough where 80 lb test or heavier is needed. And, no I don't use a harness I'm a rail guy. Would a longer rod be better? Yes, but this is what I have...for now.