Newell G447T

Started by mrwilson99, October 17, 2018, 02:09:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrwilson99

Hi,

I acquired a Newell G447T and was wondering if these came with a metal clicker instead of a plastic one? Mine has a metal one, but the spool is graphite so I am a  bit confused. Wouldn't the metal clicker wear our the spool's sprocket?
David

Swami805

G's had metal clickers to go with the metal click button. They went to plastic after that.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

mrwilson99

Thanks, just odd why it didn't come with a metal sprocket on the graphite spool.

Quote from: Swami805 on October 17, 2018, 03:13:23 AM
G's had metal clickers to go with the metal click button. They went to plastic after that.
David

Swami805

That is odd, it should have a metal sprocket. That plastic one won't last long  with a metal pawl.

Swami805

Was curious so I looked on the big site and found a few spools listed for that reel and they all had plastic click gears. Maybe they're hard enough to hold up to a metal pawl. Would have never figured that.

Cortez_Conversions

Someone may have installed a Cortez Conversions clicker kit.
Is the clicker spring metal or plastic? If you post pics, I may be able to identify my parts.
Tom
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

Newell Nut

Early Gs had metal clicker with metal sprocket. Next generation G had plastic on plastic. A lot of reel heads have upgraded to the nicer looking SS clicker but it is not a true long lasting upgrade but who keeps the clicker on while fishing? My clicker is engaged when the rod is in the rack in case someone bumps into my lever and knocks it out of gear.
I have upgraded a few and never had a problem with metal and plastic clickers. Early G spools had a metal sprocket so shop wisely. I had a couple that are now in some reels that I built from parts. You could shop for a P series spool and you would have your metal sprocket.

Dwight

Swami805

I have a few  Gs with stainless shift levers and metal click gears. Maybe they switched to a plastic gear when they switched to a plastic button on the lever?
It would take a lot of clicking to wear that gear out, I guess if you trolled a lot.

mrwilson99

Pictures attached
David

Swami805

Looks stock to me. Think toms are copper colored like penns

Cortez_Conversions

I agree, they do look like Newell parts.
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

mrwilson99

Good idea to switch the clicker/click spring to plastic to avoid any damages?
David

reel man

They came out with early graphite/plastic spool that incorporated the metal clicker hub, so I would suspect your reel has a later spool. No harm as long as you don't use it for trolling.

mrwilson99

Thanks Jerry!

Quote from: reel man on October 18, 2018, 12:19:10 AM
They came out with early graphite/plastic spool that incorporated the metal clicker hub, so I would suspect your reel has a later spool. No harm as long as you don't use it for trolling.
David

mrwilson99

So an update on this reel: I was able to purchase a P447 spool for 20 bucks and dropped in just fine and spins very nicely!

David