Spool pin remover.- reasonably priced

Started by JRD, October 17, 2018, 03:04:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JRD

I purchased the hedgehog.pin remover and love it on smaller bait casters but didn't want to alter it for larger spool shafts since it's pricey.  Here is a cheaper version I bought specifically for bigger shafts.  Thought I would throw it up here if anybody else is looking.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F173380318424

Cadman

Will this work on the smaller reels as well or only big reels? I'm looking for something that would work on bass baitcasting reels>

JRD

I have not received it yet but it is the same measurement as the one from Hedgehog that I have and yes so is work on the small reels. My plan for this cheaper one is to drill the hole where the spool shaft goes bigger so that it will actually accept bigger shafts

Tiddlerbasher

I'm still using the Boca spool pin pliers - they have have worked on reels big and small :)

Cor

I did not find the Hedgehog. pin remover a useful tool.

The first time I tried to remove a pin was on a Shimano Tranx.   The tool bent and could not remove it.
Cornelis

Cadman

Quote from: JRD on October 18, 2018, 12:47:16 AM
I have not received it yet but it is the same measurement as the one from Hedgehog that I have and yes so is work on the small reels. My plan for this cheaper one is to drill the hole where the spool shaft goes bigger so that it will actually accept bigger shafts

Thank You for the info.

exp2000

Quote from: Cor on October 18, 2018, 12:05:37 PM
I did not find the Hedgehog. pin remover a useful tool.

The first time I tried to remove a pin was on a Shimano Tranx.   The tool bent and could not remove it.

I have got a few of these. They are not made for larger reels. They are designed for bait casters.

If you are just using it for personal use, the standard issue one might be OK provided you don't strike a stubborn pin.

Spare pins are available from Hedgehog Japan from memory.

But if you are going professional, get the unit with the steel body thread insert and stainless pin.

Example: "Type R" which is Japanese speak for "Upgrade" and is reflected in the price.

I have used it on hundreds of reels with no problems. Hedgehog Studio has them listed on eBay.
~

lifeofRiley

Thanks a lot for posting this! I just got mine in the mail and it works on CU200B's like a charm. Glad I didn't overpay for the hedgehog one. I'm going to share on some other sites.
15 2, 15 4, pair for 6, knobs is 7