5000D...The Forgotten Ambassadeur

Started by mo65, October 18, 2018, 05:59:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Janssen

I had one too. I think it was my first or second Ambassadeur. I didn't really understand the D function and changed it regular function somehow. I remember boring out the main gear; I think it was aluminum.
I also made nice rounded oak wood sideplates and a custom handle for it, along with a larger diameter knurled drag knob. Kind of sacreligious I realize now, but didn't know better at the time. Fished with it a lot though, and enjoyed it.
It was later stolen in a burglary at my shop, so I don't have it any longer. Lemme know if anyone sees it out there.

mo65

I solved that pesky drag wheel problem. I bought a NOS Ambassadeur drag star. Had to adjust the spacing a bit, but now you can easily adjust the drag with your fingers, the way God intended. ;D
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Donnyboat

Looks great now Mike, thanks for showing us, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Midway Tommy

You are correct, Mike, it would make a great LMB reel because that's what they were specifically designed for. Evidently they weren't overly popular because they were only made from 1974-77. 

There is no anti-reverse built into the mechanism. The handle spins in reverse whenever line is taken out by a big fish, although, if one really feels the need a simple push of the freespool button allows line to be paid out without, or with thumb, tension (probably a bad idea in snag prone areas). When not in freespool the drag setting determines how freely line is dispersed on those types of runs. The reason why they didn't incorporate a star is because, when used as designed, the star would be cumbersome by smacking one's hand and it would just be getting in the way of easy adjustment. It was thought to be much simpler to adjust drag tension on bigger bass by turning the knurled brake bushing using ones thumb. Quite an interesting design. ::)

The original handle screw has a hole all the way through the center to allow easy oiling of the shaft. You may want to think about drilling one through your replacement for that same reason. 

There were two different 5000D colors made. One was Green like the one shown above and the other was Champagne/Gold. The 5000D Champagne/Gold model was produced in limited quantities for one month in 1974 exclusively to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Gamble–Skogmo Department Stores headquartered in Minneapolis, MN. All Champagne/Gold reels were produced with a unique serial number, 741100, which is found on the bottom of the dimpled foot. They are considered rather rare.

I was pretty lucky last weekend and found this little piggy standing in the corner in an Antique Store. She had clearly (visual & scent) been used as a catfish reel.  ;D

While I didn't completely disassemble & service her I did take her apart just enough to give her a decent bath. She cleaned up very nicely.

I'll probably end up selling her since I don't collect or use bait casters.     
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

bhale1

wow,
that doesnt even look like the same reel!!! great clean-up ;D
Brett

oc1

Nice one Tommy.

Those Ranger after-market handles are sort of a puzzle.  It seems that some new Ambassadeurs sold through Garcia in the US came with an after-market handle right out of the box.

-steve

nelz

Wow Tommy, that is a beauty! Who'd've thought under that mess! Never seen gold (champagne) plates on this reel, I wonder if they are rare?

mo65

Quote from: oc1 on December 13, 2018, 07:46:46 PM
Those Ranger after-market handles are sort of a puzzle.  It seems that some new Ambassadeurs sold through Garcia in the US came with an after-market handle right out of the box.

Yes...the Ranger mystery endures. It's actually a really nice feeling handle.

Quote from: nelz on December 13, 2018, 09:30:58 PM
Never seen gold (champagne) plates on this reel, I wonder if they are rare?

YES...rare is an understatement. Leave it up to Tommy to trump my little D model with a needle in a haystack...hee hee...what a find! I don't know Tom...that might be the perfect opening piece for a casting collection. Congrats on a great find!
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Midway Tommy

Quote from: mo65 on December 14, 2018, 12:08:13 AM

Quote from: nelz on December 13, 2018, 09:30:58 PM
Never seen gold (champagne) plates on this reel, I wonder if they are rare?

YES...rare is an understatement. Leave it up to Tommy to trump my little D model with a needle in a haystack...hee hee...what a find! I don't know Tom...that might be the perfect opening piece for a casting collection. Congrats on a great find!

Well....  ::) ....It has already found a new home.   ???  Only the second reel I have ever broken down and sold  :o , and both of them were Ambassadeur casting reels.  ;D
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Jim Fujitani

WOW!  A gold 5000D!  Now I know what to look for. 

I stopped looking at green 5000D reels after I realized that I liked how the star worked better than the knurled knob on the 5000D I had refurbished, back about 20 years ago.

handi2

I purchased a box full of the older reels and there is one or two of those reels including. The person I bought them from is a vintage lure collector. He called a few days ago to bring me more reels.

I will post some pictures when I can.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Classic Mako

5000D, I think I have four of them.   Will round them up and take a photo.

I use them for Salmon Mooching here in WA State, on the Straits of Juan de Fuca.

Think "bait feeding":   When a Chinook first taps the plug cut herring, often the fish lets the bait go and circles back.   Being able to feed the bait by turning the handle backwards simulates a fleeing injured herring and the Chinook will take the bait.    The Penn 109 works the same way and was a popular Salmon Mooching Reel when I first started Salmon Fishing on the Straits way back in 1978.   Much better control and feel than free spooling the regular type reel.

5000D reels were also used by Steelhead fishermen in my area.   Drifting a lure along the bottom, you had good control of the lure in the river current and as your hand was at the ready on the reel handle feeding line, when a tap was felt just reel fast in the retrieve direction.

The small drag adjuster on the D was no problem, as I always pre set the drag and left it alone.  Plus no star wheel to get in the way! 

I have a 6000 that has a conversion to direct drive, I will try to post a photo of it also.