Howdy - from Alvin, TX

Started by fishing_tx, October 19, 2018, 02:51:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishing_tx

Always good to find a great resource.  I started working on reels about a year ago, and I hurt my back in a fall a few months ago, so I have had quite a bit of time on my hands (can't kayak right now).  I started getting "serious" about this as things I couldn't do 9 months ago, I can do now.  I'm very much used to working on small things as I grew up working on RC cars, so bearings and gears are very common to me.  Kayak fishing kind of necessitated my learning to work on reels.  In the saltwater bays here, and in often unkind conditions at night, I've had many "incidents" and my reels just plain "get soaked".  Over the years, I've decreased that by using forward mounted rod holders while handling fish, but anyway.  I've been fishing since I was probably six years old or earlier.  I can't remember, but my father fished every chance he got to in the saltwater when we travelled to the Outer Banks as a kid.  Mostly we targeted bluefish from the beach on sand fleas (we called them sand crabs), and spots and croakers from the pier, and we'd go on charter trips for more interesting fair.  I still have the first "good" reel that my dad got me on one of those trips in the mid '80s, a Daiwa Whisker W4000.  It was pretty solid, and as I can see by the long running and even current offerings from Daiwa, a design that stood the test of time.  I have restored it.  Anyway, I am deep in it with the addiction to reels now - mostly reels that work for Redfish and Bass from the kayak or boats.  I have a Skiff being built right now, this week it is in rigging,  will share when complete.  I don't do much surf fishing, though that could change with the purchase of the right vehicle to get to where I need to go last year as well (4x4).

Anyway - I've got a collection of mid-90s to early 2000s Shimano reels including Calcuttas, Curados, Chronarchs and event  a Calais.  I really don't use these from the yak as the saltwater is brutal on them (lots of bearings to replace!), but I've been getting them ready for their future on my skiff lately.

I've been using 2500 series spinners on the yak, and I put two Quantum PT Iron 25 reels in heavy rotation for the last year.  They're not "great", but after losing two Revo Inshore spinners to the bottom of the Bay in incidents where safety was more important to me than my combos, I tried to "stay cheaper" on the yak.  I'm not happy with the magnetic bails which have both corroded and rusted.  I cleaned them up with a dremel, put a light layer of nail polish over the corroded sections and greased the interface point.  Hopefully that will extend life.  I also stripped the screw holes in one of the rotors and had to get a new one, and the main shaft bearing has needed to be replaced on one.  Either way, I can afford that, but would look towards the new Accurist inshore as a good "cheap" spinner as it seems to basically be a Smoke S3 with less bearings and hopefully has the spring bail system that the Smoke does.  I would consider the BG, but it's really not sealed at all, and I've learned a lot about kayak reels fishing 2-3 times a week on the bay (mostly at night) for two years.

My recent acquisitions include a Quantum Smoke S3 Inshore 40 (for Jetty fishing on an 8'6 rod), Diawa Tatula 2500D-XH, and a Shimano Curado DC 151 HG.  The DC hasn't been on the water yet (got it last week and I'm still flat out!), but the others have been used and show no negative signs at all.  I have taken the S3 in the surf and was pretty brutal on it - after a fresh water wash down, no problem even a few months later without maintenance.  I have not cracked the Tatula either, and it's been on at least 10 trips on the yak, and it's as smooth as the day I got it.  Trust me, I've seen a reel go from perfect to stuck on a single kayak trip.

fishing_tx

Here's the difference between the Smoke S3 and the Iron PT bail mechanisms.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Dominick

Welcome...Dominick, San Mateo, CA...God's country USA
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

David Hall

Welcom Tx. From sunny California.

foakes

Welcome aboard, FishTx —

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Darin Crofton

Welcome aboard, you'll love it here! Darin
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

happyhooker

Benni3

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Gfish

Howdy, pardner!
I've got one varaition of a type reel you mentioned: an SF 100 Chronarch. Love that baitcaster, but no it didn't do well in saltwater. As an ocean yaker, I've found bushing reels fair much better and don't need as many maintenance intervals.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Donnyboat

thanks for the run down, quite informative, hope your body comes good, nothing like good health, & welcome from sunny Western Australia, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Shark Hunter

Welcome Tex! ;)
Daron from Kentucky.
Life is Good!

alantani

welcome!  we have alot of guys locally that fish from kayaks as well.  for a conventional reel, i'd recommend the venerable jigmaster.  for a spinner, you can pick up a cheap daiwa or okuma spinner for $20 on amazon.  when the spinner fails, toss it and just buy a new one.  anything we can do, please let us know.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!