Various Screw sizes

Started by Reel 224, October 19, 2018, 03:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel 224

I can agree with you Rudy, because I have all the tools that are necessary and because I take for granted that I do. So I'll lay out the tools that I have to show others. So they can go from there. Bear with me and I will take pictures today.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Reel 224

Here are the simple tools you will need for measuring screws..................Joe

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

foakes

I agree with Rudy and Joe —

Easy enough for any of us serious about the right screws to learn the types ourselves — or ask other regular contributors on our site.

In my opinion, this chart can be done — but it would take some time and effort, may or may not be accurate, and may be missing significant screw types — or if relied upon — may become outdated quickly as builders and suppliers change the screws used in our builds — as they will.

Type of screw, material, diameter, length, thread pitch or count, standard or metric, etc, etc...

For me, I just figure out the screws I need most of the time — then order 100 at a time from McMaster-Carr.  That way I have what I need accurately within a couple of days at the latest — or in my screw bins immediately.

Another issue that comes to mind —

Like most of us active contributors on our AT site — I am willing to help those who need any knowledge or parts that I may have.  This is an enjoyable hobby that sometimes pays for itself — mostly it doesn't — and that is OK, it is a hobby — not a living.  A lot of what we do, is free.

Many times, folks need a part or two — do an internet search — find our information.  That is all well and good — and most of us try to help.  The problem I have is one-time requests for parts — then the frustration when after answering a request — I never hear a response.  We are treated like we are just another Amazon retailer that doesn't rate a simple response.

It is the world we live in.  And we should realize that the more information we put out for the general public — the less respect that sometimes comes our way.

Just my opinions.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Reel 224

Fred: I could add a little to your comments, but lets say. In my short time building reels and refurbishing them I found the only people that rely appreciate the work we go threw is our fellow creators of such equipment. The novice most of the time doesn't have a clue.

The people hear are top notch reel mechanics that put there heart it there work......................Joe Not meant to offend anyone. :)   

RowdyW

Also needed is a thread gauge. Some of those tiny suckers are tough to count by eye with a scale.

Darin Crofton

Thank you for this post, I'm adding some of these tools to a cart on amazon, will purchase when I have extra money as I go...
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Gfish

So, the "screw checker" thing you're showing Joe, is that what Rudy was talkin bout - a "thread gage"? I've got a caliper, but I'd like to get that chart and screw checker. Where to? We got Ace Hardware & Home Depot left on the Island( lost K-Mart, Sears and Sports Authority since I been here). Hardest screws for me to find so far have been the little metric ones on older Abu's.
Kinda like that word: "snarky", might make a good forum name, mabey I'll take it if nobody else wants it...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

foakes

Hey, Greg — and others —

McMaster-Carr has all of the thread gauges, sizing templates, charts, and other ID tools anyone needs — at very reasonable prices.

And their prices on hardware are low and swift shipping.

When you look at (1) screw on eBay for $4.95 — and you need (16) for one reel — 100 for $16 is a simple decision for me.

There are other suppliers out there also.  MC is just one of the best, IMO.

Best,

Fred

https://www.mcmaster.com/
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

STRIPER LOU

Greg, I believe this is what is being talked about here.

Of course any thread gage is a handy item to have in the shop and the one that Joe shows is great for easy reference.

I have several in this style, both metric and standard and up to 48tpi. The ONLY reason I like this type is, I still machine cut threads on a lathe and this gives me a quick reference to the amount of thread depth as I'm cutting.

Joe, I may have some charts around here that might be of interest to you. Ill dig them up and either send them or post them up if I can hunt them down. I still thread a lot but most of it is off the top of my head as I've done it so long, I never give it a second thought.

All have a great evening,  ..  Lou

Frank

"Kinda like that word: "snarky", might make a good forum name"

LOL, glad you got a kick out of it.
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

Reel 224

Here is one site that has it all.https://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=2746&category=...............Joe

I was just showing the simple tools, I didn't want to get overly expensive. "Snarky" That's a good one. LoL PMP

oc1

If you look at the auction site you can find a set of fold-out thread gauges for about five bucks with shipping from China included.  They are absolute junk.  Do not get them and do not ask me how I know.
-steve

Cortez_Conversions

Hello Joe,
Thanks for trying to get this project rolling.
I've wanted to do this on my website but never have the time to do it.

I don't have a lot of experience with other reel manufactures, but here are some common Penn screw sizes in no particular order:

Most Penn side plate screws are 5-40 screws in various lengths. I believe the 6/0 and up this changes to 8-40 which is an almost unobtainable aftermarket size.
The cheap taps available on Ebay are almost always doo-doo, so buyer beware.

Penn screws, bearings, dimensions without exception(my experience) are imperial, not metric.

Quite a few clamp screws and nuts are 10-24 but I have seen 10-32 as well.

Tom
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

RowdyW

To add, bridge screws for up to 4/0 are 6-40 & screws for 6/0 & above are 10-32.

Reel 224

Thanks Guys those are pretty common sizes and they are easy to obtain. I will see what I can do at my end to make a list of the common Penn screws such as thread size and length.

This will be good for those guys that are just starting out..............................Joe