Various Screw sizes

Started by Reel 224, October 19, 2018, 03:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel 224

Lou: I appreciate you offer of charts but I have a ton of them already ;) ;D Thanks anyway..............................Joe 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

scrinch

Quote from: Reel 224 on October 22, 2018, 03:31:49 PM
Thanks Guys those are pretty common sizes and they are easy to obtain. I will see what I can do at my end to make a list of the common Penn screws such as thread size and length.

This will be good for those guys that are just starting out..............................Joe 
Thanks Joe. For those of us that just work on a few handful couple dozen of our own reels, this would be nice information to have in one place. Especially screw lengths.

Glos

producers of the reels should state the exact code for each screw and shim, to the last digits, so that it can be found online.
There is a lot to the screw body and shape that counts a lot even if you couldnt tell the diference.
Luck is when good preparation meets opportunity.

Reel 224

Most screws can be obtained through the manufactures and especially the old Peen reels though distributors like Mystic Penn parts.

When the real situation arises is with the alterations of reels like plates,bridges,and gears. When we choose to change those parts and alter the screw configuration, then that raise the question of what screw we want. Example: Slotted head, Socket head, Tourx. Especially when it comes to the bridge clutch screws....the require a partial thread and smooth shank, most always it has the be made by the builder(YOU).

The so called hot rod reels are like the hot rod cars. they look like the stock model but that is were it separates stock from Hot Rod. most of the time the Hot Rod is a more defined model of it's original design. Runs better,faster,smoother. And parts change.

The manufacture can not keep up with the innovators, but the innovators make the manufacture eventually make those changes because of the HOT RODERS!

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Glos

I know they do, but I would like to be able finding it here localy for example. Because here in serbia things are very complicated when it comes to any exchange of goods with the rest of the world + it may cost more to ship those than the item itself.
Luck is when good preparation meets opportunity.

Reel 224

Quote from: glos on October 24, 2018, 05:16:22 PM
I know they do, but I would like to be able finding it here localy for example. Because here in serbia things are very complicated when it comes to any exchange of goods with the rest of the world + it may cost more to ship those than the item itself.

We often take things here in the USA for granted because we have so much at our fingertips so to speak. And yes I understand what your dealing with. So I will try to give the information to those of you who are in the same situation as much as I can pass along. You just have to bear along with me as I am doing this when I have spare time. Like now. I'm answer phone calls helping my wife bring in groceries, checking deliveries. And sending out packages. :) Typical day. Oh and drinking Cold Coffee!

Joe

Swami805

I'm lucky to have a specialty fasntener place right by my office. I can take the screw in and if they don't have them they'll order them for me even if it's only a few pieces. I just do penns and Newells but they have some odd screws. It's a great resource if you have a place like that nearby .
The down side is I never seem to get out of there without buy a tool or some gizmo that I "need". Haha
Do what you can with that you have where you are

basto

I was working on a small Asian lever drag reel yesterday and the screws that held the side plate on were IMO ridiculously small.
That reel is bound to suffer cross threaded screws before it gets serviced a few times.
I don't see the need for such small screws.
This is one reason why I like vintage reels. They have reasonable size screws that can be taken out and put back in many times without problems.
Basto 
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Gfish

Alrighty then, this thread has me collecting some info. on screws, before I can get serious about meas. tools. Now I finally know that an 8-40 = decimal-diameter size 8, with 40 threads/inch. My ol' man showed me once what a 1/4-20 was, but the 1/4 just confused me when I came across single digit screw sizes.
Man, there's alota engineering stuff("pitch circle diameter"?) to learn...
Is it just me, or is the western system too complicated compared to the metric system. It's like they just randomly added things on as they went along.

Yeah Basto, that's what happened to my 80's Ambassedur, only it was me that wrecked about 3 side plate screws.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

George6308

One Penn thread size that I have used is 1/4-28 left handed for the 706,700,704,710, & 712 handles. Got a set of taps and retreading die plus a half dozen nuts to save of few of the handles as they are almost unobtainium.
Sol sent me the thread size for the Smaller Penn stars 13/32-24 but I can not find a tap in that size. Same thread as Lincoln V-12 rod bolts.
I do have thread measuring tools and use them. Some of the Penn threads are not common as well as the screw head types and are available only from the factory or Mystic.
I like to clean up the threads before assembling my Penn's.