Whiskey Case/Cigar Humidor ordered by David Hall

Started by mmayo, October 19, 2018, 09:31:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmayo

As with all highly custom boxes, this one made me think. Here it is before sanding and application of spar varnish finish. The large space will receive a crystal decanter for the whiskey while the four square spaces will each have hand blown glasses. There will be black foam padding for protection for all areas with glass inside. The upper chamber is a cigar humidor lined with Spanish cedar and has a humidity gauge. Fun stuff and whew.

Kites fly the highest against the wind, not with it.

Alto Mare

What a job Mark, I don't think it could get any better if you wanted to...beautiful work!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Hardy Boy

WOW that is nice !! I hope I get to meet David one day and see it in action !!

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Ron Jones

Very nicely done. If I were to comment at all, it would be to ask how the humidity is regulated? I see the humidity gauge, but I do not see a humidifier.

Can't wait to see it finished.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

mmayo

Quote from: Ron Jones on October 19, 2018, 10:29:54 PM
Very nicely done. If I were to comment at all, it would be to ask how the humidity is regulated? I see the humidity gauge, but I do not see a humidifier.

Can't wait to see it finished.
Ron

Good question for the owner or other cigar smokers. I tested the gauge by inserting a plastic cup with a wet rag. Within an hour humidity has increased 10-12%. I need it dry for finishing but later a similar method could get it correctly humidified before placing the cigars inside for an outing. This is a portable fun case with two vices inside.

xjchad

Husband, Father, Fisherman

David Hall

I won't be the owner of this fine piece for long, it was commissioned as a gift for someone very close to me.  I'll probably see it only a few times, but it's come along so nicely I may have to ask Mark to make one for me.
Humidity will be maintained by boliva packs, 84% for two weeks to condition the cedar then 64% one pack every few weeks or so. Although humidity maintenance won't be a major issue since this travel case will be refreshed frequently you know, normal stock turnover.
I knew I went to the right guy for this project.  I cannot wait to see it finished. 

Dominick

David I didn't think you cared so much... :-*  Dominick  ;D
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

David Hall

Quote from: Dominick on October 20, 2018, 02:14:43 AM
David I didn't think you cared so much... :-*  Dominick  ;D

It was close Dominick but the lucky guy getting this case is Very close to me, "genetically speaking."

mmayo

Nice color has arrived and the shine is developing nicely.  More coats and sanding before the finish line.

conchydong

Wow, at a loss for words. That is something to behold.

Reel 224

Very nice Mark. If only you could make one for a pipe smoker like me. ;) ;D..................Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

David Hall

Quote from: Reel 224 on October 24, 2018, 06:48:01 PM
Very nice Mark. If only you could make one for a pipe smoker like me. ;) ;D..................Joe

I don't think that would be an issue for him, you could store your tabackee in the humidor along with a pipe, or cut back on the number of glasses and make more room for a greater selection of pipes and smoke!  I have no doubt Mark could make a very nice case for that purpose.

mmayo

El Pescador

Mark-O!

One word... SMOK'N!!!!!

Dave, I know your intended beneficiary will very much enjoy this piece of artwork,

I know I receive MANY positive comments on my Fishy Glass Scotch box, and that's before I even open it!!!!

REELY!!!

Enjoy,

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!