Squall 50vsw - spinning on rod

Started by gcmarshall, October 20, 2018, 01:51:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gcmarshall

I am accustomed to using senators which are connected to the rod in 3 ways. These squalls only have 2 connections, and i find they spin left and right when i am reeling in a fish. I switched out the original bolts so i could tighten them down more  but the plastic bracket starts breaking.
Any ideas? Anyone has this bracket made of a harder material?

Swami805

Lots of after market metal clamps that would work. Try a rubber strap wrench to tighten the rings on the reel seat,gets them nice and snug,that should help.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

gcmarshall

Where would i find these after market clamps? Ebay?
I actually use a vicegrip to tighten..... ;D

MarkT

Is the reel twisting in the seat or is the seat twisting on the rod?

If you're having to tighten the clamp so much that it breaks to keep it in place I think you have a another issue.  Tightening up the reel seat should hold it in place without using the clamp as insurence.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

gcmarshall

The reel is twisting.
Have 3 of these and all do the same. Wish these reels had the extra brace like the senators.

I see the similar clamps for the internationals come in a anodized cast iron. Think that can work for this?

Note....this happens when large fish are on the line. Hard enough to battle a marlilin without the reel twisting on the rod.

Swami805

I think the clamps are aluminum not cast iron. Make sure the holes in the clamp are spaced correctly for your reel.
The only thing I can think of that would allow it to twist is the reel foot is small and the reel seat hoods are made for a larger foot,still it wouldn't be very much movement.
Try a new clamp and use it directly on the reel seat,it looks like you have some material in there for padding.
Are you leaving the rod in the boat rod holder fighting the fish or using some kind of gimbal and harness? Any chance the gimbal is twisting a little and not the reel? Just a thought.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Tiddlerbasher

Has the reel seat got hoods on the winch like these:

https://www.guidesnblanks.com/p/alps_centra_lock_window_reel_seat

If it has then either the reel foot is too small or the reel seat is slipping on the handle. A properly fitted reel foot and seat cannot twist.
If the foot is too small consider using packing material under the foot to make it fit tighter in the hood. Even so I've never had an undersized (for the hood) reel foot twist more than a fraction.
If the reel seat is slipping it needs to be re-glued. The fact that you cracked the clamp suggests, at least to me :-\, that the seat is slipping.

If the reel seat hasn't got hoods (like the above link has) and they are just round rings, I would definitely consider replacing it - you will struggle to stop it twisting.

handi2

Charkbait should still have the aluminum rod clamps
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

gcmarshall

Quote from: Swami805 on October 21, 2018, 01:48:03 PM
I think the clamps are aluminum not cast iron. Make sure the holes in the clamp are spaced correctly for your reel.
The only thing I can think of that would allow it to twist is the reel foot is small and the reel seat hoods are made for a larger foot,still it wouldn't be very much movement.
Try a new clamp and use it directly on the reel seat,it looks like you have some material in there for padding.
Are you leaving the rod in the boat rod holder fighting the fish or using some kind of gimbal and harness? Any chance the gimbal is twisting a little and not the reel? Just a thought.

So sorry I am only now responding. Was really busy there for a while.

It is regular star trolling rods I am using. I will have to check the reel seat. I had to add some rubber (from a tire inner tube) as the rod base is a bit too narrow for the reel to clamp onto. Or else the clamps aren't doing much.
I mostly leave the rod in the rod holder.

gcmarshall

Thanks Tiddlerbasher and handi2.

I will have to investigate a bit further.

thorhammer

From what I can see, a 3/4" x 3" strip of cork tape or even felt and / or leather strips to build up under the total length of the reel foot, plus a new clamp, should do it. you should grease between any such strips liberally to keep out salt intrusion as best possible. I think that reel foot is too small for whatever Star rod reel seat you are using and basically needs shimming for snug fit. If the reel seat itself is loose of the blank, that's a whole 'nuther conundrum....

you may either get another stock clamp from Mystic parts or the excellent Strikemaster  from Charkbait (I use them on all my Internationals and larger Senators), but neither will improve your situation if the foot will not snug in the hoods.

Cork tape available at MCMaster Carr or mudhole; felt and leather at any craft store and even at the Wal-marks.

Tightlines667

You might try rubber strips, like from a cut tire or tire repair kit too.  I'm not sure if replacing the reel seat with one from an international is possible, or would make any difference, but might be worth investigating.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.