A little FYI Old Fin-Nor Reel

Started by TheReelShop, July 17, 2018, 02:28:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheReelShop

I had the opportunity to work on this reel for a customer. The reel is likely a 6/0-9/0 size.  It was mainly used for pulling grouper out of rocks 300 feet deep. Its been used hard! The drag was not engaging, so once I received the reel, I noticed it was in fact, not engaging. I opened up the reel and realized the problem. There are 2 pieces of which one part is a big gear. This gear turns clockwise (along with the other piece) to increase the drag setting when you turn the preset. Well, with these two pieces, I have noticed in my experience with these Fin-Nors, that they get stuck to each other by either corrosion, or they seize up together. This was why the drag was not engaging. Once I got the pieces apart, I greased it and quickly put it back and now we had drag.

Customer wanted to continue using the reel, and wanted to see if more drag could be had. I stated upgrading to carbon fiber would help and adding bellvilles. I ended up not recommending to invest in the carbon fiber drag because for one, I felt the cork drag was ok and the shaft had the tip broken and stuck into the pinion gear, and investing in the drag with this situation and extinct parts was a no go. There was compromise. Then I went ahead and added bellvilles. I got the reel to produce a nice 28-30lbs at the 1/2 position. Then I removed them and put back the stock washers which are plain washers and I got a real nice 34lbs of drag at the 1/2 position while still having freespool. I was happy.

I sent the reel back and he was very happy and that was by far the most satisfying part of all this experience.

Here is the reel

Here is the two pieces separated that were stuck together causing the drag not to engage

AND

Here is the picture reflecting how a portion of the shaft tip broke off and remained in the pinion gear. I ended up sanding down both sides (not the two studs coming out just the inside part) to have a flush mount and it helped alot with the overall function of the reel. These moments are where I wish I could just go out back and fab a new main shaft..

So anyone with issues on their finnor hope this helps!

Shark Hunter

Nice Save! ;)
The Old Fin Nor reels are tanks.
Glad you made him Happy.
Life is Good!

TheReelShop

Quote from: Shark Hunter on July 17, 2018, 05:24:13 AM
Nice Save! ;)
Glad you made him Happy.

Thank you sir!! Do you have any big finnors?

Makule

How do those old Fin Nors compare with the Everols?

Quote from: Shark Hunter on July 17, 2018, 05:24:13 AM
Nice Save! ;)
Glad you made him Happy.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Darin Crofton

Great work, what a cool vintage tank of a reel!
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Alto Mare

Nice work!... He's happy and you're happy, doesn't get any better.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.