How to remove plating from brass?

Started by xjchad, October 22, 2018, 03:20:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xjchad

Let's say the nickle/chrome plating on the brass is so far gone that it can't be restored.
Is there an easy way to remove the rest of if so that the bare brass can be polished and the part used that way?
Husband, Father, Fisherman

RowdyW

Is it peeling or just discolored or pitting. If it's not peeling then there wouldn't be any need for concern as it's inside the reel & doesn't show. Then just clean it in the normal way and grease it. Ugly looking won't hurt preformance.  ;D     Rudy

jurelometer

On the older Penns that I have powder coated, the chrome over brass came off instantly in the sandblast booth using some pretty abrasive garnet.   A good rough surface for powder coating.  Not sure if is is the best option if you want polish it up.   

Any idea which alloy Penn used in the brass parts?

-J

STRIPER LOU

2nd the sand blasting. It has to be pretty aggressive and probably not a good choice if you want to re-chrome.  Plater  can strip but its expensive.

I use emery cloth. Unfortunately, time consuming but cheap. Depending on the shape of the part, the lathe can come in handy.

Here's a link of a reel I did and have done several since. Parts the weren't round were done by hand with emery and then polished with a brush and some compound on a dremel.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=21302.0

Hope this helps,  ..  Lou

1badf350

Quote from: RowdyW on October 22, 2018, 04:36:35 PM
Ugly looking won't hurt preformance.  ;D     Rudy

Rudy, I'm trying hard not to make a joke at your expense.  :D :D
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Maxed Out

Fine emory cloth will remove the plating

1500 and 2000 wet sanding, then a quick buff will get the results you described....PS, pitting may still be visible depending on how bad the pitting is
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

oc1

I'm with Rudy.  The plating (or what's left of it) is there to reduce corrosion.  Raw brass will tarnish just sitting on the shelf.
-steve

xjchad

Thanks for the ideas guys!  I'm going to play around with some things and see what happens  :o

Lou, that reel gorgeous!
Husband, Father, Fisherman