First Time Fishing in 15+ Months

Started by foakes, October 22, 2018, 10:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Left the house at 05:00 this morning.

Headed up to 8300' Courtright Reservoir.

Launched the boat, on the water at 07:00.  28 degrees.  Just barely light.

Limited out with Rainbows and Browns.  Caught and released another 20, or so.

Trolled with lead core, 4 colors down, Penn "9", Okuma 7.5' noodle rod, Speedy Shiners with no flashers and a 20' leader.

Back home at noon — fish cleaned.  8 in the freezer, 2 for tonight.

No big size — just good eating — 12" to largest at 16".

Felt good to be on the water after so many tree chores.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Hardy Boy

Its always nice to get out and enjoy the water especially after a 15 month fishing free time ! How big are the trout ? looks like a nice day on the water. I put my boat to bed on the weekend.

cheers:

todd
Todd

STRIPER LOU

Nice day Fred! Talk about picture perfect and supper to boot.

.................Lou

conchydong

Awesome. So much different than what I do.

Glad you got out and didn't lose your touch.

Scott

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

thorhammer

Benni3

Nice set up on a beautiful lake and you had a great day ;D

Reel 224

Nice Trout Fred, I know you enjoyed them. Both the catch and the meal ;) :)..............................Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

steelfish

those fish look healthy and fat
nice to see you on the water Fred.

I've never eaten trout, how do you prepared those 2 that were dinner ?
The Baja Guy

Alto Mare

Beautiful Fred, I would have loved sharing that boat ride with you.
I'm glad you got out.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

oldmanjoe

:)  Nice catch  !!    ???   Now you need to go at least once every 15 days ...  Joe
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

George6308

Nice catch. Love the boat. It proves you do not need too a large boat with a mega HP outboard to enjoy our sport.

Bryan Young

So beautiful. Catching fish was more than a bonus.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Darin Crofton

Awesome catch and story! Get that iron skillet going and fryem up!!!
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

scrinch

Sounds like you had a great day on the lake, Fred. I didn't realize how good the fishing got in the Sierras in the Fall. I was up at Huntington closing the cabin two weekends ago, with the lake level down like in your photo of Courtright. On dam #3 we saw lots of 12-14" rainbows rising in the early afternoon, and then along came a school of about twenty 20-24" kokanees. I was shocked to see so many fish there given how poor the fishing usually is. Of course I hadn't brought any fishing gear, so all I could do was watch!