First Time Fishing in 15+ Months

Started by foakes, October 22, 2018, 10:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Gfish

Nice, Fred. Godda love the Fall in the mountains. Don't look like it was too crowded either.

How's it up your way, Keta?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Dominick

Fred, has it been that long since Edison Lake?  It's good to see you got out for fun instead of work.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shark Hunter

You Definitely deserved this Day Fred. ;)
Those trout are some of the best eating fish in the world.
Good for you.
Life is Good!

oc1

Man.... get your priorities straight.   :) :)
-steve

Tiddlerbasher

Glad you got to do some fishing Fred - you deserve it after all your hard work :)

theswimmer

There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Decker

Like riding a bicycle!  ;D  Nice catch, Fred!

happyhooker

xjchad

Your boat and  pictures bring back many fond memories of trolling for blueback (Kokanee) on Dworshack Resevior and Lake Pend Orielle. I miss that!
Glad you finally got some fishing in, you deserve it Fred!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

foakes

There are ton of ways to cook fish, of course...

Ocean species such as rock fish, red snapper, ling cod, perch, etc. — we prefer to fillet and deep fry in oil with Panko crust, or Louisiana seasoned batter crust.

Salmon, halibut, etc. — generally get grilled or baked.

For trout, we prefer the Weber gas BBQ.

Clean the fish, head off, fins and tail on.

Smear a light coat of butter on the inside of a sheet of tin foil, using the butter stick.

Cover the buttered foil with salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning.

Put (2) pats of butter inside the fish, along with more salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning.

Wrap the foil around the fish — put on the BBQ at high heat.  I also use hickory/mesquite chips in the closed BBQ for added smokehouse flavor — in a SS perforated tube.

Close the BBQ — cook for 5 minutes on one side — flip to the other side for 3 minutes.

That is it.  Comes out tasty, juicy, firm, with a smoked flavor.

The fins and skin just come off with a fork.  Plus the entire spine along with 99% of the bones just peel out from the meat like opening a zipper.

No fishy smell in the kitchen — and Sue loves the result.

Add a little rice pilaf, veggies with string beans, bellpeppers, mushrooms, and yellow onions.

Pretty tasty and healthy dinner.

This is the same method I use when back-packing and cooking my catch — except the foiled, buttered, and seasoned trout is put under the red hot coals of a campfire.  And I usually have a lemon or two — along with some sourdough rolls.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

steelfish

thanks Fred, that meal looks like a winner in my books.

you should try the same recipe for the trout with some small ocean fish like rockfish, bay bass, etc
I have even try that same way with triggerfish and it was really good.
The Baja Guy

Reel 224

Fred: If I only lived closer ;) :'(........................Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Rivverrat

Fred, 15 months with out fishing.... My Gawd Man. Two days in a row I start experiencing withdrawals.

Late winter early fall my first trip of every year on the river, always feels like the first time on the river. I imagine it was something like that... Jeff

theswimmer

Quote from: scrinch on October 23, 2018, 03:57:09 AM
Sounds like you had a great day on the lake, Fred. I didn't realize how good the fishing got in the Sierras in the Fall. I was up at Huntington closing the cabin two weekends ago, with the lake level down like in your photo of Courtright. On dam #3 we saw lots of 12-14" rainbows rising in the early afternoon, and then along came a school of about twenty 20-24" kokanees. I was shocked to see so many fish there given how poor the fishing usually is. Of course I hadn't brought any fishing gear, so all I could do was watch!

We have just been killing the fish at Huntington. Shaver has been putting out nice fish as well.
I live close enough to Fred to hit his house with a wristrocket.
The fishing has been great all summer.
PM me any time......
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn