Aftco Star Set

Started by Darin Crofton, October 25, 2018, 12:22:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darin Crofton

Came across this and picked it up cheap. I figured some of you guys would remember these from the past?
This one is a SSPL2 that fits: 114, 114H, 114HL & 115. I wonder when these were last sold?
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

RowdyW

I've got one somewhere for a Daiwa Sealine. I'm not sure if it's for a 400 600 or 900 series. Anybody need it?     Rudy

Darin Crofton

I like the big star, handle is kinda small though.

Benni3

I think thay quite selling them in the 80's thay where mostly for headboats,,,very cool find  ;D

Rivverrat

This is the first I've seen of this. I think its an idea that I wish wasnt unique for us star drag users though it is.

I achieve the same thing by whipping parachord to one the legs on the star of my reels... Jeff

Penn Chronology

I have one of those on a high speed 4/0. Limits the travel of the drag, I think. I have never used it, just sits on a shelf raising questions from time to time.

Darin Crofton

Quote from: Penn Chronology on January 20, 2019, 07:00:57 AM
I have one of those on a high speed 4/0. Limits the travel of the drag, I think. I have never used it, just sits on a shelf raising questions from time to time.
I'm with you, mine will sit on the shelf as well.

Penn Chronology

I'm with you, mine will sit on the shelf as well.

;D

Recoil Rob

I've had one on a Daiwa 450 for almost 30 years, was fine with the OEM drag, it limits drag adjustment to one turn which you can preset. Now that I'm upgrading the drag I'm removing it.
My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
   - Errol Flynn

Tightlines667

Seems to me the upgraded drag is a reason to reconsider using this device since...

1)on a 14/0 with insert 1 remolution of the star equates to roughly 22lb to 47lb change at full spool (plenty of range).. not sure hiw much of an increase in drag curve the 6/0&9/0 put out with the insert kits, but it is likely relatively similar.
2)small changes in the star position.. from inadvertently bumping it during the fight.. equate to big changes in drag pressure.. 5lbs per 65-70deg star movement.. this device helps you to avoid this problem.  

Also, I stopped using delron washers above the drag stack on these bigger reels because I have had 2 of 4 melt on me while fighting fish.. they can then cause the drag to be limited since they melt down around the top drag washer causing interferance with the insert.  I have not had this problem with the under drag washer or when just using SS washers and/or bellevilles on top of the drag stack.

Just some personal observations.

I have been putting a piece of clear fuel tubing on a spoke of the star wheel in order to have a quick visual reference of where my drag is set at.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Recoil Rob

Interesting thought. Alan states that after changing out the washers on a Daiwa 450 "functional drag range is 10-20#'s with an absolute maximum drag of about 25#'s.  Because of the risk of damage to the main gears, i would recommend keeping the drag below 20#'s."

With a drag range of 10-20 do you still think the Starset is worth the trouble on a Daiwa 450?
My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
   - Errol Flynn