Newbie from UK

Started by simonb, October 26, 2018, 01:19:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

simonb

Thanks for letting me join. I'm from South Wales UK. Very interesting reading. But I'm a dry Avet drag plate type of person  ;D ;)

Si

Tiddlerbasher

Hi and welcome Si - Chris, UK
May I also be the first (probably not the last ;)) to recommend greasing your cf drags - helps prevent corrosion and makes them smoother ;)

theswimmer

Welcome ,
Having owned and worked on boats since I was a kid I grease almost everything .
Alan converted me to Cals for use on CF drags.....
Best ,
Jonathan
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Benni3

Gobi King

Welcome from West Michigan, USA
What do you fish for?
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Dominick

Hi Si... Dominick, San Mateo, CA
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

simonb

Quote from: Gobi King on October 26, 2018, 10:41:34 PM
Welcome from West Michigan, USA
What do you fish for?

Bristol Channel: Rays, Conger, Huss, Spurdog, Tope, Cod etc etc.

West Wales: Porbeagle shark, Blue Shark, Wrecking for Pollock. Do catch Atlantic Tuna when after Shark sometimes. But we are not allowed to target them.

Si

simonb

Quote from: theswimmer on October 26, 2018, 03:05:36 PM
Welcome ,
Having owned and worked on boats since I was a kid I grease almost everything .
Alan converted me to Cals for use on CF drags.....
Best ,
Jonathan

I grease drags that are already greased. But I leave Avets dry. Found the bearings last longer as you don't need so much axial force on the drag plate when it's dry.

Si

alantani

let us know how that works out for you.  and welcome!!!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

simonb

Quote from: alantani on October 26, 2018, 11:37:07 PM
let us know how that works out for you.  and welcome!!!!!

Having serviced quite a few of the smaller Avets for charter skippers I'm doing it the Avet way. I tried one of my SX's with Cal's and the pinion bearing died quite quickly. I've got repeat service prescriptions for reels that I do every year. One Early pawl type SX still has the original bearings in it. He knows how to set the drag. I lot of people round this way use them of the shore and tend to lock them up solid when the pull to snap the line when snagged. Those that use them within the drag rating seam to last for ages. I do notice that other Japanese manufacturers are not using stainless but chrome steel bearings with the anti corrosion finish. These bearings last much longer but can rust.

simonb

Some of the regular Tiagra 50's I do have brake disks that are well scored like a disk on a car. The CF brake disk is well worn in and shiny. These reels have regularly been run in the "over the horizon" position on max drag with line being taken at speed. Interesting to note that they are still very smooth and are dry. When I add Cal's or Shimano grease I get feedback that the reels are more difficult to set up for a take as the drag is too on off at minimum setting compared to the non greased ones. The greased ones come back with all the grease pushed out and around the spool edges and inside the cage / end plate. Not sure if the scoring is a result of dried salt or not. But greased or non greased you still get salt crystals in the mesh. These are charter boat reels so can be used every day.

bhale1

Welcome Si,
Hope you enjoy your stay, and keep doing what works for you, we all learn from each other....
Brett

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D