a conversation with jerry brown, president of jb line one spectra

Started by alantani, October 27, 2018, 05:15:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

whenever i order hollow braid, i call up to oregon and order by phone.  sometimes i get christine, sometimes i get jerry brown himself.  and any conversation with jerry brown is a minimum 30 minutes.  but this time i learned something.  when trying to figure out the line rating of an unknown spectra, he has a method.  you figure out how many yards in an ounce of line.  yup, one ounce.  so here's how it works.  packed on a spool under 2 pounds of pressure, an ounce of .......

40 pound braid is 302 yards
60 pound braid is 214 yards
80 pound braid is 166 yards
100 pound braid is 174 yards
130 pound braid is 100 yards
200 pound braid is 75 yards
300 pound braid is 32 yards

i might actually stop ordering 80 pound braid and just use 60, 100, and 130 pound hollow core!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

gstours

Thanks for sharing Alan,  makes sense now you think about it,  just saying .🤦‍♀️

MarkT

Yes, you should use 100 JB rather than 80. 100 is a smaller diameter due to the difference in the weave.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

foakes

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

conchydong

So, how many of us are going to tell the wife we need new high quality kitchen scales?  ;D

Fishy247

QuoteSo, how many of us are going to tell the wife we need new high quality kitchen scales?  Grin

You're still telling your wife?

Tiddlerbasher

I tend to buy 100lb braid rather than 80 because it tends to be cheaper (at least in the UK)

Donnyboat

not long ago, I brought 180Lbs braid, as it was the same price as the 150Lbs braid. cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

SoCalAngler

A lot of braid pricing comes down to strands in the weave. The higher cost brands usually have more stands and are tighter in their weave. Lets say a 4-6 strand solid should be cheaper than a 8 strand solid and a 12 strand hollow should be cheaper than a 16 strand hollow.

But the feel of a 8 strand over a 4 strand will be like night and day the connections with a 8 strand should hold better and not cut the mono/fluoro as easy. Also working with a 12 strand loosely weaved and a 16 strand more tightly weaved will have somewhat of the same effect. The 16 strand should be much easier to work with when inserting a needle, wire, mono and such when rigging.

If I remember right JB's 80 was a 16 strand and the 100 was a 12 strand. At least I think the early 80 was 16 strand. I could be wrong here it has been many, many years since I spooled JB 80 on my reel. 

alantani

Quote from: SoCalAngler on October 29, 2018, 02:39:16 AM
If I remember right JB's 80 was a 16 strand and the 100 was a 12 strand. At least I think the early 80 was 16 strand. I could be wrong here it has been many, many years since I spooled JB 80 on my reel. 

that is what jerry told me as well. 

JayMak79

A little off topic, but Jerry used to have a web site.  I recently searched and could not find it.  Does anyone know if it was taken down?  If not can someone provide the link here.

alantani

Tiddlerbasher

Nope - the company is still listed as being in Oregon but no website. Maybe Lee has extra info?
Another site that's disappeared is Paulus line testing (Oz) - there was a great deal of useful stuff on that site.

mikeysm

I just recieved some 60 lb hollow braid. I had a hard time inserting the needle. I Would hate to see the 40 lb it would be very tough getting the needle started.

Mike

Tiddlerbasher

Mike the PP Hollow Ace 40lb is easy to splice, when I can get it (in the UK ::)) I use it for fly line backing (spliced knotless connection to fly line). The 40/50lb Chinese 16 strand hollow, off of Ebay, is also fairly easy to splice - and is as cheap as chips. As yet haven't tried the JB hollow.