Pulley Ridge/Dry Tortugas jigging trip out of Key West on Oct 25 - 28, 2018

Started by ksong, October 29, 2018, 02:24:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ksong

We had great jigging trip using light slow pitch jigging rods in Pulley Ridge/ Dry Tortugas on Oct 25 - 28.
The majority catch were grouper and mutton.
I used ultra light Black Hole Cape Cod Tai Special rod( blank weighs mere 1.4 oz and the rod weighs only 3.8 oz.) and IRT 500 DD reel.
I used upto 400g jigs as we fished 200' plus depth and the current was pretty strong.
Ross of IRT Reel used Black Hole Cape Cod Slow Pitch Jigging rod and IRT 500 and 600 DD ( double drag) reels.6'8" vvvv
John used 6'8" Black Hole Charter Special Slow Pitch rod and IRT 400 DD reel.
Thomas used 6'8" Black Hole Charter Special Slow Pitch conventional rod while Josh used 6'3" and 6'6" Black Hole Cape Cod Slow Pitch conventional rods while Brian and Ryan used different brandl's slow pitch jigging rods.
All performed very well.

Here are pictures of catches.

John's AJ using light 6'8" Black Hole Charter Special rod/IRT 400 DD reel.

Josh's nice mutton and red grouper using 6'6" Black Hole Cape Cod Slow Pitch jigging rod.

Brian's blackfin tua catches

My mutton and red grouper catches using ultra light Black Hole Cape Cod Tai SPecial rod and IRT 500 DD reel.

Ross of IRT Reel's catches of red grouper and mutton using heavy Catch jig.

Thomas' catches of red grouper using 6'8" Black Hole Charter Special Slow Pitch jigging rod.

Brian's nice red grouper and mutton

John's nice red grouper using 6'8" Black Hole Charter Special Slow Pitch jigging rod and IRT 400 DD reel.

Brian's mahi using a popping rod

nice scampie grouper by Rayan

My red grouper and trigger fish on a same jig.

Benni3

That looks like a great fishing trip,,,,,great job guys and thanks for the photos  ;D

Darin Crofton

Awesome trip and catches! Pulley ridge is on my bucket list, going to take my boat there one day for sure!
What brand are those cool looking squid jigs, they look so real?
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

ksong

Quote from: Darin Crofton on October 29, 2018, 04:13:30 AM
Awesome trip and catches! Pulley ridge is on my bucket list, going to take my boat there one day for sure!
What brand are those cool looking squid jigs, they look so real?
It is Catch jig from New Zealand. We did great for hapuka with the his in Three Kings in NZ.

ksong

nice grouper using ultra light Black Hole Cape Cod Tai Special rod and IRT 500 DD (double drag) spinning reel.
The blank weighs 1.4 oz and the rod weighs only 3.8 oz. This rod is probably the lightest slow pitch jigging rod on the market.

Reel 224

That is amazing! Such light tackle bringing in a tough fish. I am impressed...............Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Darin Crofton

Yes, great catch from such a light and nimble rod, what's not to like?
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Reel 224

Quote from: Darin Crofton on October 29, 2018, 08:57:18 PM
Yes, great catch from such a light and nimble rod, what's not to like?

The price! It's not for the faint of heart. :o ;D.............................Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

swill88

ksong

John fighting a nice AJ using economic version 6'8" Black Hole Charter Special Slow Pitch rod and IRT 400 DD reel.
The retail price of this rod is only $185, but the rod is as good as high priced slow pitch rod.

Dominick

That a heck of a fish but too much work with those light rods.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

ksong

Quote from: Dominick on October 31, 2018, 07:04:40 PM
That a heck of a fish but too much work with those light rods.  Dominick
We fished 200' plus and this video is uncut video.

wideopenoutdoors

Pulley Ridge and Dry Tortugas are on my list! Have a trip planned for June! Already have all the equipment for the long run, how far from Dry Tortugas were you fishing? we currently run 80-100 to the middle grounds.
"your not on a fishing show, reel it in!"

seacane

I have fished the south end of the ( 24.390 - 83.500) twice, once in May and once in October. Both times we went when we were in the Dry Tortugas and had a great weather window of opportunity to make the run to the Ridge. For us the determining factor was weather since we ran in 30' boats. The other key factor was the position of the Loop Current. The south end of the Ridge is the closest to where the current begins to turn east. The time we went in October the current was spilling towards the east over the Ridge and we not only had good bottom fishing but also we got into mahi and blackfin tuna by trolling west of the Ridge. My understanding is that anchoring on the Ridge is prohibited. When we bottom fished we drifted with a sea anchor so you may want to take one along.
Hope this helps.