Drag star backs itself off

Started by mike1010, October 31, 2018, 06:58:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike1010

I've got a 501 where the drag star backs itself off from lighter drag settings.  What are the things to check?  Thanks.

(There was a similar discussion recently, but I have not been able to find it.  Apologies.)

--Mike

Frank

Hi Mike,

Could be washers missing or out of order under the reel handle or the drag stack. Did you have the reel apart lately?

Frank
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

akfish

Make sure the eared metal drag washer is NOT on the top of the drag stack.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Reel 224

aside from those things, I learned a good way to prevent stress on a drag stack is to add a Deleon washer to the top of the stack. You can omit the bell vile washer and get a smoother drag......................Joe 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Swami805

Isn't there a wavey washer that goes between the handle and Star to prevent the drag backing off?
Do what you can with that you have where you are

foakes

Quote from: akfish on October 31, 2018, 07:11:07 PM
Make sure the eared metal drag washer is NOT on the top of the drag stack.

No wavy washer between the crank and the star...although some guys put one in there.  There is a wavy spring washer between the top keyed metal drag washer and the spacer however.  Sometimes these get mixed up.

Bill is correct.  Make sure the top metal drag washer is a keyed (not eared) one — with a wavy spring washer on top of that.

Also make sure that all of the eared washers are in their proper gear grooves.  

Either on a 3X3 stack, or a 5X5 stack — the top metal washer needs to be keyed, not eared.

Let us know if this is the issue, or not.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mike1010

Thanks for all the replies.  The reel has Brian's 5 stack, and the washers are in the right order.  Instead of the wavy "tension spring," I've got one of those white plastic ones that some folks use (Delrin or acetyl - can't remember which).

pjstevko

Don't mean to thread jack but I have one question.....

What's the difference between a "keyed" washer verses a "eared" washer????

Frank

The hole in the keyed washer has a slot that fits the bridge post. The eared washer has 2 tits on the outside circumference that keep it from spinning in the gear.

pjstevko

Quote from: Frank on October 31, 2018, 09:20:58 PM
The hole in the keyed washer has a slot that fits the bridge post. The keyed washer has 2 tits on the outside circumference that keep it from spinning in the gear.

Did you mean eared?

Reel 224

The Top of the stack 8-60 Tension Spring Is there to allow cushion for the adjustment of drag tension, It can be omitted to allow more direct tension to the drag by adding a delron washer makes it smother. That's the concept anyway. There is all kinds of combinations to the top of the drag to accomplish that.

I have a feeling with the problem with the star backing off. It's in the drag stack, since it is a five stack there is a good chance the the stack is not fitting in the gear properly, protruding over ride in the drag. (To Tall)

Joe 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Frank

Quote from: pjstevko on October 31, 2018, 09:26:59 PM
The hole in the keyed washer has a slot that fits the bridge post. The keyed washer has 2 tits on the outside circumference that keep it from spinning in the gear.

Did you mean eared?

Yes, sorry about that.

Reel 224

pjstevko

Quote from: Frank on October 31, 2018, 09:49:54 PM
Quote from: pjstevko on October 31, 2018, 09:26:59 PM

Did you mean eared?

Yes, sorry about that.

I don't care about the wording I was just verifying that you meant the earned washer not keyed...

foakes

Eared washer holds the gear — keyed washer holds the sleeve.

Eared on left — keyed on right.

Bryan's 5X5 thin stack should have (3) keyed and (2) eared.

If you still have an issue — Bryan will be along shortly.

Tolerances may need adjustment if a little out of free adjustment.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.