Drag star backs itself off

Started by mike1010, October 31, 2018, 06:58:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RowdyW

When assembling & installing the bridge assembly do this. Assemble the gear,correct order of washers, wavy or delrin washer, & spacer sleeve. Then install the star & snug it down to make sure everything is compressed & in the correct location. Then remove the star and install a twisted rubber band or snug fitting o ring onto the gear sleeve against the spacer sleeve. Install the assembly into the plate & snug down the bridge screws. Next remove the band or o ring while holding the spacer sleeve against the drag assembly & install the star. Everything should now have been held in place & drag should now work correctly. This is what I learned from Sal some years ago & it works every time.           Rudy

Dominick

Yep! The man is correct.  Works every time.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Frank

Quote from: Reel 224 on October 31, 2018, 09:51:30 PM
;D ;D ;D :o oops!...................Joe

Yes, I have to watch that. Must learn to read what I wrote before posting. Good thing it wasn't a loaded gun - I would have pulled the trigger. lol
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

mike1010

The drag stack was installed properly.  I think the problem may have been that the acetal "wave washer"/spacer tube combination was too short.  When fully backed off, the star was out of contact with the top of the spacer.  So when the star was only lightly tightened down, a little bit of creep would let the star back off fully.  Of course another question is why there was any creep at all, but I wonder if the acetal washer promotes the problem, compared to the stock, metal wave washer.  The acetal has less "give," so on light drag settings, the star is fewer turns from disengaged.  I cobbled together a taller wave washer/spacer combo, will know more after fishing the reel, and will report back.

Thanks again to all who helped.

--Mike

pjstevko

Can someone please tell me or post a pic of the correct order for a jigmaster 3 stack?????

Thanks

Reel 224

The post Fred has shows you the correct way 6&7 ..............................Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Reel 224

By the way that tip Rudy gave about the "O" ring on the top of the gear sleeve when the assembly is done with the spacer sleeve installed is a good tip.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

RowdyW

Quote from: pjstevko on November 01, 2018, 08:17:59 PM
Can someone please tell me or post a pic of the correct order for a jigmaster 3 stack?????

Thanks
pj, the order is CF, KEYED, CF, EARED, CF, KEYED, WAVE WASHER, SPACER SLEEVE, STAR WHEEL, HANDLE.       Rudy

Swami805

I was thinking of the newell arrangement With the thin wavey washer between the star and handle. Might be an option if the drag stack is high and not enough space for the thick wavey washer under the spacer
Do what you can with that you have where you are

RowdyW

I don't ever remember a thick wavy washer being used in a jigmaster. In a 113h or 114h, yes.        Rudy

pjstevko

Quote from: RowdyW on November 01, 2018, 09:57:38 PM
Quote from: pjstevko on November 01, 2018, 08:17:59 PM

Thanks
pj, the order is CF, KEYED, CF, EARED, CF, KEYED, WAVE WASHER, SPACER SLEEVE, STAR WHEEL, HANDLE.       Rudy

Thank you very much!!!!!

Can the wave washer be replaced by the plastic washer???

RowdyW

If it's a delrin washer, yes. All others it's better to use the wave washer. But you may have to use the wave washer if you need more height or a longer spacer sleeve.

oc1

Mike, is there a chance the star rubs on the outside of side plate or the collar rubs on the inside of side plate hole?  That could make the star back off when the handle is cranked.
-steve

mike1010

Hi, Steve.  The star is not rubbing the plate, but the spacer is tight in the plate hole, which is not uncommon with Black Pearl's oversize spacers.  I will investigate to see if that is a contributor.  Thanks.

BTW, the tightness is partly explained by the fact that the gear post is not truly perpendicular to the bridge.  I've seen this on some other reels.  One of these days I will have to try straightening one, though I suspect it will destroy the peen.

--Mike

oc1