Drag star backs itself off

Started by mike1010, October 31, 2018, 06:58:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

You can always install a thinner walled spacer, Mike —

To see if that is the issue.

Some of the thick-walled spacers have this issue — particularly if installing custom sideplates with a slightly offset post and sleeve.  The tolerances are tight.

I have some, if you don't — just need the height measurement you need.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mike1010

Thanks, Fred, for that offer. I've already increased the "tension spring"/spacer height.  Let me see if that addresses the issue before introducing another variable.  With luck, the wind here in the NE will lie down a little, and I will fish the reel in the next few days.

Mike

mike1010

Some day I may learn not to shoot from the hip.  The more I think about it, the more it seems that Steve's theory (tight spacer tube) best explains all known aspects of the problem.  I have enough parts to put try the corresponding fix, and will post results to the thread after I've fished the reel.  Thanks again, everybody.

--Mike

Reel 224

Mike; I make my own out on SS high corrosion resultant material for that very same reason. those custom plates will not except the larger spacers without altering the OD. I found .500-OD works good.

Joe   
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Bryan Young

Hi Mike,

Sorry to hear you are having some problems and not joining the thread earlier. I had my yearly flu shot and this latest one took to me like a storm.

I think most of the trouble shooting has been addressed. If your Star is backing off then it's something above the last keyed washer that is binding with the side plate. Either the Delrin washer or the spacer tube. Pictures would help by the way.

The first place I would look is the Delrin washer outside diameter and the inside of the side plate machining step towards the hole where the gear sleeve goes through.  My initial drag kits had larger outside diameter Belleville spring washers that used to rub on the side plate loosening the star. Check that out first.

Good luck.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

mike1010

Hi, Bryan.  Sorry your flu shot hammered you.  Thanks for the clues, but the Delrin washer in my reel is one that I made, and I *think* it's dimensions are okay.  Let me check out the narrower spacer first (already in the reel as of today).  If that doesn't work, I will take another look at the washer.

--Mike

mike1010

It seems like the tight spacer was the problem.  Good call, Steve.  Thanks all, for your help debugging this.

--Mike