Larger reel feet available for the Tib 550/646 frames?

Started by Toehi, September 29, 2019, 07:53:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toehi

This is more of a Tiburon question but since it goes on a Newell I'll post it here.  Is there anyone offering a larger reel foot for the Newell Tib frames?  I made the mistake of not checking before I mounted my reel on the pole and paid the price with a nice ding on the frame where the reel seat punched into it.   On top of that I was 30 miles from home where the clamps Tib supplied were sitting on a shelf.   Luckily I had other reels on me. I'm not sure why Tiburon chose to go with such a small reel foot on the 550's and 646 frames but dang I think my kids Barbie reel came with a larger foot (lol j/k).  Any other options besides running the reel deckhand style?

Newell Nut

I fish the 500s with Tiburon frames and 600s with Newell P bases which also have small cleats. all the time and no problem at all. You must have a strange reel seat on your rod. I built my rods with Alps Alum seats.

The Newell 533 P base fits a 631 and the 447P base fits a 636. I do this because it brings the reel down closer to the rod than the factory base. Just a side note before someone ask about it.

Dwight

Swami805

If you could find an older frame the reelseat sits taller on the frame
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Toehi

I tried the reels on all the Fenwick, Sabre, and Nitro ulua poles I have, reel seats are all too big for the Tib frames. Since the reel feet on the Tib frames are removable I'll pop one off and see if I can come up with a Delrin shim/sled.