DIY assist hooks

Started by gstours, November 02, 2018, 02:08:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

If you're interested in making your custom hooks for your jigs,  here is how I have done it and it works for me.   It's best suited for larger eyed hooks of your choice.   This is for a single hook with the loop.

thorhammer

should work very well....we cant see it, I bet fish wont either :)

pic didnt come through, Butt-man

gstours

Start with the length of your leader,  to make it stiffer a tube w color can be pulled from the loop later.
  Insert the tag ends up from the bottom to the top of the shank as shown.

gstours

Then find the fixed length and trim if needed, then hold parallel to the shank, and wrap as shown, snug butt not necessarily tight.

gstours

Next pull the back of the remaining leader back up over top of the first layer and pull it forward some, wrap over it as shown.

thorhammer

Gary, what are you over-wrapping with? I have a ton of flat jigs and diamonds that need this; thanks for showing!

gstours

After wrapping the second leader over the first ,  whip the thread under the wraps after laying the loop on the threads facing toward either end of the shank.  Insert the tag end of the thread after cutting 4 inches long, into the loop of the whip loop and pull it tightly,  the thread will be under about 8-10 wraps and not come loose.

gstours

Before trimming the thread end pull kinda tight.  Next coat the thread with your choice of colors, you can use 5 minute epoxy,  color your epoxy w, oil enamel, or use a glue, or some layers of finger nail polish.
   Clear coats can be over if desired.

gstours

Use your emagination, this is not a tutorial👨‍💻, just another way you can make what you need, at practically the price of the hook, as you already have the other stuff just sitting there looking like junk.🤦‍♀️

gstours

Sorry to make this lengthy to post.   Butt I,m us iPhone pictures to post this with as a trial.  It seems to work,  butt slow butt NO photo bucket!,,,,
   Ok shown was a polyester rod wrapping thread.  An good synthetic thread will work.  I use a fly tying bobbin to wrap with.  Butt you could and I have held the thread/line in your hands and let the 🐈 play with it as it's going to fall on the floor at least once.  I like Small scraps of braid butt the thread will not fail you if it's coated.   It's all about the numbers of wraps over the double back leader.
   I've used this on rock fishing and large halibut,  anyway it's a disposable item as the rocks don't seem to care how much money 💰 you spent on pretty.......

gstours

Thanks for watching, I'll show you another variation of this soon of how to make a double hook rig on a single loop that works good for smaller hooks.   🎃.  Stay tuned.🙅‍♂️

swill88

Thanks Gary.  Greatly appreciated!

Steve

Ron Jones

Looks great, thanks.
I was getting ready to tie some double hook rigs, and was just going to snell heavy braid to each hook and shrink wrap the snell. Do you think your method is stronger?
Thanks again
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

gstours

No, Ron, it a medium duty easy to learn and tie rig.  I'm not going to say it's strongest,  I've never had a failure butt I'm not sticking big cows,  it's something I can add to the forum, 
   Here's how you can wrap and hold the hook if you're mobile or don't wanna or have a vice as shown in the first part of the post.   Easy to rotate.  Epoxy or polish will not sag and keeps you doing other good stuff.   Just saying.  DIY is for me.🤷‍♀️🐟

thorhammer

Gary, well noted...i have miles of nylon from wrapping rods and use really strong upholstery nylon for jigs...that will do nicely...hook in vise, bobbin, nail polish since i work for Sally Hansen...done....