DIY assist hooks

Started by gstours, November 02, 2018, 02:08:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobi King

Gary,

Good thread
what did you use for the main line? it looks like hollow braid(?)

Thanks,
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Keta

Good idea serving the line but I'd use 30# or 40# spectra, but I have it for making wind on topshots. 

Quote from: Ron Jones on November 02, 2018, 03:18:56 AM
Looks great, thanks.
I was getting ready to tie some double hook rigs, and was just going to snell heavy braid to each hook and shrink wrap the snell. Do you think your method is stronger?
Thanks again
Ron

Spectra is too limp for this, I have some heavy hollow Kevlar line I use for making assist hooks. I if you want some it's yours.   
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

gstours

Sorry about the missing pictures.  Just saying.  Here is a mobile method.  It's simple and every one has a vice grip of some brand.  Right?

gstours

Thanks for the main line question.  As lee said spectra is too limp, but small diameter and very strong 💪.
    It might be all you have?  A piece of plastic colored tube with the spectra pulled through the loop will add color and stiff ness needed to keep from tangling.   Also some people use a shrink tube pc to marry the two.   As shown below.   It's what ever you wanna do.🐠

Tiddlerbasher

Like Lee - I use hollow core Kevlar - Slightly stiffer and very abrasion/tooth resistant.

gstours

There is a hard braid synthetic cord we call Neptune line up here and it comes in sizes to 350#  ,  it's a sold braid and it's quite stiff,  comes on a 2x6 inch cardboard spool and can be found in a commercial marine store.   Here's a halibut hook with the stuff shown below.   Kevlar is very very strong and certainly abrasive resistant.  Yes in the early part I showed using a hollow braid line with a solid core.  It's just fine as I had a bunch of short pcs.

gstours

Sorry again,  the last picture was of a Kevlar stinger,  it's very good.   Butt expensive for rockfish,  butt not for a prize halibut 🤦‍♀️

swill88

Quote from: gstours on November 02, 2018, 02:55:15 PM
It's what ever you wanna do!

🐠

Great fishing gear motto Gary!  Thanks!

steve