DYI Dual assist hooks on a single loop

Started by gstours, November 03, 2018, 03:16:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

Here's another way to do what you wanna do.    Using two assist hooks that have one loop makes sense in some applications.   So here's a quick and fairly easy way.
   Here is one that is cut apart to illustrate.

gstours

As shown the hooks you are using or have chosen may not have room for both ends thru the eye of the hook.  So this is another way to do it.   Using a single overhand knot and whipping the tag end certainly is a small knot and won't come undone.  Cement or epoxy can be used for insurance.   A shrink type ove cleans and protects from chafing, especially if it's almost to the end of the loop.  This adds some stiffness for anti tangle.

gstours

Another option is to adjust the hooks after tying to the length desired, parallel as shown or offset.
  Remember an knot and the loop will shorten the leader somewhat.🎣
This system allows you to use larger stiff leader in your assist.   Another way is to snell the first hook if the leader will pass back thru the eye Ann's the pc of shrink tube and a sister pc for the other side and tie the second hook as shown above.  Then heat the tubes and smile 🐟

Bryan Young

I'm switching to SS and Ti assist hooks instead of cord. Toothy fish got my hooks. I will try corded assist hooks with circle hooks in hopes that the cord will be outside of the toothy area.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Tiddlerbasher

Bryan, I have had a lot of success with hollow kevlar for assist hooks. It's stiffer than spectra (less tangles) and very abrasion/tooth resistant.
I simply blind splice a loop in one end. The other end goes through the hook eye then 2 overhand knots (in opposite directions) onto the shank. A touch of ca and finished with shrink wrap.
It's incedibly strong - because of the splice the kevlar is double thickness, which also makes it a lot stiffer but still flexible.

Keta

I have some JB 200# hollow Kevelar if you want some Bryan.  Jerry no longer sells it.    Some already made up and ready to put on the hooks.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

gstours

I,m glad Lee emphasized the part about Kevlar being very cut resistant.  Its nor more expensive than stranded ti or sst possibly and easier to tie.  In my halibut photo the stinger is 1000 lb. test. a single line.   Its even hard to cut with a sharp knife.  I generally tie it with a turks head knot and whipp it with spectra and finish with a coat of epoxy.    Good fishing to all you stinger folks. :)

Bryan Young

Quote from: Keta on November 04, 2018, 02:46:09 PM
I have some JB 200# hollow Kevelar if you want some Bryan.  Jerry no longer sells it.    Some already made up and ready to put on the hooks.
I'll give it a try Lee. I also heard that Kevlar doesn't last when exposed to water. That is why it isn't used in making rods and boats anymore.  If this a fake fact?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

No idea, I doubt it as we had Kevlar anchor ropes on the AMHS ferries. 

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Ron Jones

Kevlar is what all mooring lines in the Navy are going to. We store some in free flood areas, that means months of soaking under "deeper that 200 feet" of sea pressure. Never had a problem, and we wouldn't do it if there was the potential for a problem.

Kevlar line is amazing. Everything that is good about braid is good (or better) about kevlar.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Tiddlerbasher

Yup - what Ron said. I havn't heard anything bad about kevlar. I still have and use a couple of carbon/kevlar rods from the 70's - never been a problem. I've been using kevlar braid (hollow and solid) for a number of years - again never a problem) A lot of bad press frequently comes from rival manufacturers. Try it - if it works for you - it's a result.

Bryan Young

Yeah. A new solution. I think I'll order some in various strengths.

Keta

Quote from: Bryan Young on November 04, 2018, 09:31:16 PM
Yeah. A new solution. I think I'll order some in various strengths.

Some 200# hollow will be in the mail, already made into loops.  I wouldn't use anything lighter than 200#.

Mark Twain

gstours

Thanks for expanding the Kevlar topic here Lee.  I now make some harpoon cables from kevlar cord.  Ive not had any problems yet.
      The knot or crimp or ?? connection still needs to be considered no matter if its spectra/ dyneema  or kevlar or steel/ti.
I,m always interested in hearing how these newer products are working for everybody.   
      Remember when we used to use steel lines for sturgeon?   I could never go back.  Lost a few nice fish thru kinks over time.  And we thought that stuff was expenzive?  Glad to get away from crimping too! ;)

jcool3

Kelvar has very high temp melting point.  Spectra has very low melting melting point.  A consideration
when you are covering your hook/knot with shrink tubing.