Penn Slammer 3 grinding after replacing main and pinion gear!

Started by WalterWyman, November 06, 2018, 08:41:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WalterWyman

Good afternoon, this has me stumped! A guy brought in a slammer 3 after he had blown it up after looking in the reel it was clear that the main gear and the pinion were needing to be replaced. Ordered the parts and put them in and there is a grind all gears are in good shape and all places where there is parts rubbing are smooth! If you put the handle on the reel without the side plate and hold the gear with your thumb I don't feel the grind...... when you put the side plate on the grind comes back have played with shims but no email any ideas? Any and all ideas please!!

Thanks
Wally
"You said the grinding sound just started after leaving it sit wet for 1 year?" I see.....

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

WalterWyman

Good question but the gears are round and have no arrows like Shimano gears do!!
Thanks Alan
"You said the grinding sound just started after leaving it sit wet for 1 year?" I see.....

alantani

Something has to be shimmed. That's the only possible answer.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

swill88

handi2

The main gear must be shimmed just right by adding/removing shims from the top side of the main gear. Under the right side bearing.

After assembly push/pull on the handle. There should be the slightest amount of movement. Or none.

The gears can be ruined quickly if assembled and cranked with them too tight.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL