Wife Went Bonkers

Started by Hardy Boy, November 06, 2018, 09:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy Boy

My lovely wife said since I drive her bonkers and it was my Birthday ............................. this is what I got. Turned out of Yew wood by a local guy, nice heft and 20 inches long ................ should put some fishes to sleep. Hope I don't damage the boat or my foot !!

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

MarkT

Don't let the wife know where you keep it if you value your noggin.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

David Hall

that's an awesome looking fish bonker.  tell your wife, good job!  nicely done.

Ron Jones

Looks great!
Yew is super tough, should last a long time. Bring it to Cedros next year so you can boink the Mook!
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Hardy Boy

The Mook might not even feel it !! He used to kick box and has a hard noggin !!

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

oldmanjoe

;D  Over here ,we call then Priest ...

Quote from: MarkT on November 06, 2018, 09:55:12 PM
Don't let the wife know where you keep it if you value your noggin.
:)  His bonker  looks bigger than a rolling pin. ::)
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Three se7ens

I told my wife that was a sleeping aid for fish...  The look on her face when I explained it was well worth it  ;D

Maxed Out

Now that's a man size bonker !!

That yew wood is very hard wood and probably wasn't easy to make. I'm sure you'll put it to good use fishing, or hunting grizzlies  :D  :D

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Brewcrafter

If my SWMBO walked up with that and said "I've got something for you"...I would not have the presence of mind to take pictures!  That looks awesome and really fine workmanship!

gstours

Great wife,  good gift toddy boy....   like a popular song once ,  you get what you need, knot what you want.   Thanks for sharing.

Bill B

That's destined to become a family heirloom.....not sure if it's because it put you to sleep or lots of fish.... ::)  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Steve-O

Nice healthy fish bonker!

Mine is kiln dried oak carved in the Northwest Coast Indian style as a Seal...because seals kill salmon. It has lots of mojo.

So much so I felt the urge to retire and replace it.

Mine and the ambitious carving job to replace it.

steelfish

can someone school me on why the need for a fish bonker for smaller fish like salmon?

on my waters you only need it for sharks and sometimes for really big and "green" YT
The Baja Guy

Hardy Boy

Alex: here in BC we have always "bonked" our fish to quickly kill them (prevents bruising) and stop them from flopping around. it is not for safety except for halibut and maybe big ling cod as they can cause damage if they get wild in the boat. I bonk my fish, bleed them and then keep them cool. Many dress them right away after bleeding. I also think that some people bonk them to kill them quickly so they don't "suffer". I always wonder why some guys catch a fish and then just throw it in a cooler where they flop around for a while. I think the killing and bleeding gives you a good quality fish to eat.................................... my two cents.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

gstours

Alex I,d rather show ,  but when salmon are caught from shore, or from a boat they always flop around,  sometimes enough to really tangle suff up.  The barb (yes ;)) of the hook always gets pulled thru the landing net.  Thats a pain to remove.  anyway mr fish keeps it up,  that floppin part,  blood is flung everywhere, and you still got to remove the hook out of the fish.  Its more humane to bonk it and then it gets to be counted as dinner,  immediately bleed it and clean it as soon you get your gear down.
 Ice firms the flesh and immediately retards spoilage.  
       I,m sure you were kidding us?  Heck you ever put a live fish in a cooler and close the lid on a warm sunny day?  Its easier to buy a new cooler and the fish dies eventually,  Leaving you a new paint job inside  >:(
 All fish in my opinion should be bled as soon as possible.  Good fishing. 
      While typing this I noticed that Mr. Hardyboy said something similar,  Butt I still pressed send post button.