handle upgrade - shimano tld 20/30 two speed

Started by alantani, March 11, 2009, 06:01:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

pete kolekar is making up a new batch of handles for me.  the complete handle assembly will be $46 with domestic shipping included. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

thanks, steggs!

Quote from: Steggs01;121868First things first. I would like to thank Alan for the gear and the amazing reports he puts up. Here is my bogged attempt at this.
Well it all start on the kitchen table.  All my gear and tools were laid out and I was ready for the new handle. As I have not worked on a two speed before I wanted to study the schematic drawing up close before pulling it apart, as a normal handle change is very basic.

Conventional Handle Replacement:

This is conducted by undoing the handle locking screw, then the handle bolt, removing the handle and replacing with the new one then carrying out the reverse.

Now for the Two Speed:

I soon realized that there is a pin that slides in/out to activate the two gearing system. I didn't want to stuff the gears nor the handle setup. Nor the near reel.  I was all set to go (Tools,oils,lubricants and anti pilling cloth/paper).  I did take  a whole lot of pictures in sequence but they didn't turn out as well as I wanted (Couldn't find new camera) so I used the old one. I didn't post them up so not to bore you.

Ok ... We are off:

I pulled the (#236)lever quadrant off and the (#780) right side plate to reveal the working of the gears. 

I proceeded to undo the (#213)Drive Shaft screw (which is labeled (thread direction)) to expose the gearing system. A very simple gearing system that holds the pin in two different positions as to activate the two different gears(#209) Gear Select Cross Bar.

The gear select cross bar is held in place by the (#771) Push Low Button Shaft. I could not remove the gear select cross bar so that the handle could be removed, so I attacked from the other end. The coventional way of replacing a reel handle...

I thought to my self. It cant be that simple.

I started to remove the gearing system on the handle (#91) Push button (#94) slide plate and (#2a) Handle bolt plate.
This is a little tricky as there are some tiny springs a bit tricky to slide over the (#771) Push Low Button Shaft.

Then undoing  (#148) Handle Bolt it can then be released from (#208) Drive shaft. The handle is easily removed then.

The new handle can be placed on the drive shaft and tightened up. Once the correct tension is applied to the handle bolt, slight adjustments need to be made so that the (#92) screw lines up with the (#772) Handle Assembly.

Then do the reverse to re-assemble.

It is actually quite simple, but hey at least I know how the 2 speed gearing system works.

But you go from this :

To this :

I really appreciate how much work goes into a Alan Tani thread now. My next one is the Sealine 900h drag and handle up grade. Alan has already done this one... Thanks

Steggs

alantani

to install the new handle, remove the push button shield (key #91) and screws (key #90).

ok, here's the tricky part.  you need to remove the handle bolt plate assembly.   back out the handle bold plate screw (key #92), but leave everything else in place.

place your right index finger over the screw (key #92) and slide plate spring (key #93).  push the slide plate (key #94) "in" and lift off the handle bolt plate assembly as a unit.  don't let the spring go "boing!"

set the assembly down in a safe place.

remove the handle bolt assembly as a unit (key #69, 147 and 148).

install the new handle.

grease the handle arm and install the handle bolt assembly.  tighten until the the handle bold aligns with the handle bolt plate (key #2A).  use good mechanical judgement in tightening the handle bolt. 

install the handle bolt plate assembly.  take care to cover and not lose the spring.

install the push button shield.

check the push "low" button shaft to see that it locks into low gear properly.  if not, the push button shield screws (key #90) are probably too tight.  back off the screws a quarter turn at a time until the push button functions properly.

see, that wasn't so bad!

Robalo

Alan

You sent me 2 of these custom handles for my Shimano TLD 30 2speeds.
I need another I'm certain that I went with a large the black part looks like
a hotdog no taper.

Bill
503-355-6301

alantani

bill, i'm just now catching up on posts, then on to pm's and e-mails.  please pm your shipping info and i will send a handle assembly out to you.  thanks!  alan

jordan chong

Mr. Alan

I'm Jordan From Sabah, Malaysia (Asia Conutry), is it possible to buy from you for the Jumbo T-Bar handle as in your post. Wat is the difference in length for the handle compare to original Shimano TLD 20 2 speed handle?

Thanks and best regards.

alantani

yes, it's easy.  the arm is quite a bit longer and the handle is much larger.  i need a shipping address and an e-mail address for a paypal request.  please send me an e-mail to alantani@yahoo.com

Nessie Hunter

Ahhaaaa!!!!   Just what I have needed for my TLD 30 II.....

Are there any left???

Is it possible to measure distance from Center/center Shaft to handle openings??
My stock handle is 2 1/2 " center to Center...  3" overall...

These Reels truly need longer handles.....
high gear is almost impossible to crank with a fish on (even a small one)...

Please let me know, I will Paypal and shoot you a PM with address etc...

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

alantani

send an e-mail to alantani@yahoo.com with your shipping info and i will get one out.  thanks!  alan

gonewishin

Hi I just E-mailed you my information for the purchase of one of the upgraded handles for my shimano 30IIA. I hope their still available.

Dave
707-685-3413

alantani

angle-iron

Hi Alan,

I need a new handle for my TLD 30 with Tiburon frame. I want to get an oversized, offset handle but with so many choices online I can't figure out which one to buy.

I've noticed that some of them are tapered near the axle of the handle and some are tapered away from the axle. Some are machined aluminum, plastic or rubber (see pics.)

Any recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks!
Angel

handi2

If you don't get Alan's Kolekar grip the first picture of the Jumbo T-Bar is the best choice. The second picture of their "Deluxe" T-Bar is too skinny. The picture of the soft grip handle has very little offset and is cheaply made.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

angle-iron

Thanks for the advise.

Is it better to have the tapered part of the handle near you forefinger or pinky finger?
Seems like you would want it near your pinky since it's smaller.