hey Sal

Started by thorhammer, November 07, 2018, 04:38:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

lookey:)

harryk3616

good  morning   big   john    how are you doing?  hope all is well, i see your busy with your cardinals and now are you wrapping rods?   just wanted to say hi,  take care my friend.    harryk

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

thorhammer

Hi Harry, hope you are well! I've been wrapping rods on and off for 25 years. This one is a rebuild on a Harnell 130 class...it's a special rig Sal is helping me with (you know what to do, Sal!).

I keep saying I'm getting away from wrapping but have a few in the pipe for members, some special builds, so I decided i had to get better and faster as these are heavy hitters wanting the best...so I finally built a wrapper a couple weeks back and am very happy with the first couple of experiments, so on to the client builds.

Dominick

I know nothing about wrapping and in the next sentence I'll probably show my ignorance. The legs of that roller guide hang over the side of the rod.  Just looking at it makes me feel it is not as strong as legs on top of the rod.  Comments?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

thorhammer

Those are vintage Mildrum's which were stock on these rods.  Someone here said a while back these were really strong...I'm a reasonably strong person and I know between the guides, the 130lb mono, and the Penn, I'll be the one to fail, lol. My kicking knee will come out of my leg before I break that guide I think....

Rivverrat

Double footed guides of this design are some of the strongest ever made.

Some claim they allow the rod to flex more. However I cant see this being that important. Being that most rods I've seen using this design used it as the stripper or first guide above the reel. Most rods I've seen with this guide dont flex much down low.

A standard style HD guide with double feet is still offered today from Fuji. Though you might call it a hybrid version.

A very nice guide for heavy use... Jeff

ReelFishingProblems

John, if that acid wrapped rod is any example, your rod building skills are top notch!
I love that rod, and will put it to work again by the end of the month!
Love the colors on the Harnell
Nick

thorhammer

Thanks, Nick, but I might get the hybrid back from you one of these days to rewrap the buttwrap...now I'm not satisfied with it...

I still haven't acid wrapped for myself yet but one on the drawing board after a practice run