alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial hey Sal
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
November 18, 2018, 09:51:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: hey Sal  (Read 218 times)
thorhammer

"You can't drank all day if you don't start..."

« on: November 06, 2018, 08:38:21 PM »

lookey:)

* harnell 3.JPG (127.21 KB, 640x640 - viewed 15 times.)
harryk3616

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 08:14:04 AM »

good  morning   big   john    how are you doing?  hope all is well, i see your busy with your cardinals and now are you wrapping rods?   just wanted to say hi,  take care my friend.    harryk
Alto Mare

Southeastern Pennsylvania

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 09:39:56 AM »

lookey:)

👍

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.
thorhammer

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 10:03:40 AM »

Hi Harry, hope you are well! I've been wrapping rods on and off for 25 years. This one is a rebuild on a Harnell 130 class...it's a special rig Sal is helping me with (you know what to do, Sal!).

I keep saying I'm getting away from wrapping but have a few in the pipe for members, some special builds, so I decided i had to get better and faster as these are heavy hitters wanting the best...so I finally built a wrapper a couple weeks back and am very happy with the first couple of experiments, so on to the client builds.
Dominick
Administrator

San Mateo, California

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2018, 12:11:52 PM »

I know nothing about wrapping and in the next sentence I'll probably show my ignorance. The legs of that roller guide hang over the side of the rod.  Just looking at it makes me feel it is not as strong as legs on top of the rod.  Comments?  Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day drinking beer.
thorhammer

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2018, 12:22:15 PM »

Those are vintage Mildrum's which were stock on these rods.  Someone here said a while back these were really strong...I'm a reasonably strong person and I know between the guides, the 130lb mono, and the Penn, I'll be the one to fail, lol. My kicking knee will come out of my leg before I break that guide I think....
Rivverrat

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2018, 02:25:04 PM »

Double footed guides of this design are some of the strongest ever made.

Some claim they allow the rod to flex more. However I cant see this being that important. Being that most rods I've seen using this design used it as the stripper or first guide above the reel. Most rods I've seen with this guide dont flex much down low.

A standard style HD guide with double feet is still offered today from Fuji. Though you might call it a hybrid version.

A very nice guide for heavy use... Jeff

* rs=w_600,h_600.jpeg (6.54 KB, 274x244 - viewed 50 times.)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 04:10:59 PM by Rivverrat » Logged
ReelFishingProblems

Nick - Tampa, FL

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2018, 03:59:14 PM »

John, if that acid wrapped rod is any example, your rod building skills are top notch!
I love that rod, and will put it to work again by the end of the month!
Love the colors on the Harnell
Nick
thorhammer

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2018, 05:01:14 PM »

Thanks, Nick, but I might get the hybrid back from you one of these days to rewrap the buttwrap...now I'm not satisfied with it...

I still haven't acid wrapped for myself yet but one on the drawing board after a practice run
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: