Vintage Fin Nor No. 4 spinning reel

Started by Altposaune, November 07, 2018, 10:35:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Altposaune

Hello,

I'm new to this forum or any forum, for that matter. I just bought a Fin nor No. 4 spinning reel with extra spool. I don't know anything about these reels and haven't been able to find out anything about them. I did find some info indicating they were designed in the 1950s? I'd like to find a schematic because I need to disassemble it. The antireverse does not function perfectly and it is generally dirty. Any help that anyone can give me with schematic, photos, or info would be appreciated. Many thanks, John

RowdyW

I don't know much about spinners but welcome to Ohana. Some one should be along within a day or so that might be able to help you.      Rudy

alantani

found this photo.  it looks pretty simple.  i checked mike's and did not see a schematic.  honestly, i'd put this one on a shelf. 
http://schematics.mikesreelrepair.com/thumbnails.php?album=11
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Donnyboat

Hi John & welcome to the forum, if you do not find any schematics, just take digital photos step by step as you dismantle it, then you can follow then as you place it back together, I do agree schematics & part numbers would be a big help though, good luck, let us know how you get on, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Cuttyhunker

I remember one of this style old Fin Nor from the early 60's, a well heeled charter customer had brought it with him.  It blew my mind there was no moving bail, even now I recall it was smooth as silk. First one I've seen since then.  I'd shelve it too, but would also occasionally exercise the old girl. Good score!   
Doomed from childhood

CaseyMac

Quote from: Cuttyhunker on November 08, 2018, 02:00:50 PMI remember how amazing these weight loss pills are and one of this style old Fin Nor from the early 60's, a well heeled charter customer had brought it with him.  It blew my mind there was no moving bail, even now I recall it was smooth as silk. First one I've seen since then.  I'd shelve it too, but would also occasionally exercise the old girl. Good score! 

A newbie question, what do you guys mean by "shelving it?" Not using it?

RowdyW

Yes, display it. Parts probably will be hard to get or non existent. Or you can use it till it breaks down and then shelve it.

alantani

Quote from: RowdyW on November 16, 2018, 01:10:47 PM
Yes, display it. Parts probably will be hard to get or non existent. Or you can use it till it breaks down and then shelve it.

yeah, that's pretty much it.  you'd have to take really good care of this one if you actually wanted to fish with it.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Midway Tommy

The Fin Nor 3 & 4 were sold from '58 - about '70. Parts are basically obsolete and schematics are near impossible to find unless you know someone with a complete package. They are an extremely well built reel and at the top of the line in their time. They are valuable as a collector reel usually bringing $150 on up depending on condition and extras, i.e box, leather case, spools, paperwork, etc. They're not that complicated to disassemble so have a camera, take it slow & photograph all facets as you take it apart so you can put it back together correctly.

On the edit: Post some photos as you are taking it apart and putting it back together. We'll help you out if you run into any snags along the way.  
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)