Diawa Sealine Reels

Started by gstours, November 08, 2018, 02:49:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

These are my workhorse reels for bottom fishing,  from rockfish to halibut these are suited well for the tasks.

The reason for this is a few folks asked me some questions about modifying them for improving them.  I had posted most of the pictures and text butt good ol photobucket would,nt show the images so I,m going to try is again.    :)

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Darin Crofton

Nice ones Gary, those are some strong reels! Darin
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Hardy Boy

Stout !! I have always liked the looks of the Sealine but do not own one yet.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Decker

What are three three sizes, Gary?

I've been getting interested in the vintage Sealines, even the metal-framed level winds, and some older Gamefisher-branded conventionals. 

gstours

Thanks for the replys.  The three sizes shown are the  Sealine reels ....300h, (sized similar to a 3/0, 112h  penn.   Center pik is the 400h, (sized similar to a penn 4/0 113h)  and the larger one on the right is a 600h,  (sized similar to the 6/0, 114h penn.
   These reels are no longer being made, butt quite a few were produced in Japan.  They never really caught on as popular as the Penn reels built here in the states.  They suffered from poor marketing it seems statewide,  Shimano seemed to overcome this and seemed to grow.  Diawa like many manufacturers seem to slip from favor from any number of reasons and changed strategies and still make reels.
   I got my first Sealine in about 1980,  initially the 300h for a white sturgeon reel and it worked good  box stock with the crank arm extended to the longer position.   Ive never had any problems with any of the ones shown.   These things have caught a ton of fish.

Reel 224

Like the Smiley face thumb pro...............................Joe :D
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Decker

Thanks, Gary.   

Does Daiwa still sell parts for these reels?

I saw your other posting where you modifiled the 300H main gear to take the flower-shaped drag discs (can't recall the right name).  Did you modify the other reels also?

Would you put your 400H up against the Tank in a battle-royale with "pink slip" stakes? ;D

Brewcrafter

I just happen to be ready for a reassembly/drag upgrade to a 600H that my buddy uses as a SoCal ocean troller.  The internals seem to be pretty well thought out and robust.  And thanks again to all the folks on the forum for the excellent tutorials and advice!  And let me see if I can correctly insert the picture this time... :)

Porthos

Quote from: Decker on November 09, 2018, 04:19:16 PM
Thanks, Gary.  

Does Daiwa still sell parts for these reels?

I saw your other posting where you modifiled the 300H main gear to take the flower-shaped drag discs (can't recall the right name).  Did you modify the other reels also?

Would you put your 400H up against the Tank in a battle-royale with "pink slip" stakes? ;D

Daiwa still sells parts, but some maybe "unavailable."

For the 300H sideplates that have the cutout for the lug plates, there is a shorter frame screw to secure the lug to the plate. This screw is not shown on any schematic posted on the web, and it is not one that the Daiwa parts dept can ID on their side. The solution is to order the frame plate screw (353-5101) and cut it down. This leads to a secondary issue: in March, I asked for some 353-5101's but they were on backorder. When calling back four months later, they were still on backorder.

This was the point in which I took the longer 353-6003 foot/plate screw of the 400H and test it in the upper 400H frame holes which Daiwa matches to the 353-5101 screw and found that Daiwa had tapped all the 400H frame holes deep enough for the longer 353-6003. It turns out the 353-6003 was in stock so I order those instead for both the 300H and 400H and cut what I needed.

Eared washers, I believe, is the term.

If you also factor in cost-to-benefit ratio as a judgement factor, the "pink slip" stakes may offset the bigger amount of aftermarket support the Penns have just because of Penn's broader and longer availability.

gstours

Thanks for the feedback.  I,m in no way saying that the chevy 283 is better than the  f - 289.   You gotta be old to remember these daze! ::)
  When I did this work the "Drag Kits" were not available period.... With the extra work a person can diy some improvements on reels at almost cost.   What is gained is knowledge and personal satisfaction.....These are stepping stones to helping yourself.....
    Diawa USA still has parts for these reels.  A wharehouse in Calif USA.   You can keep your reel going if you want to.

I was fishing for sturgeon in the mid 70,s and most reels back then did not the horsepower we now demand.   After migrating to alaska I found out quickly I was undergunned..... :o
   I personally like the smaller reels with enough drag to pull you over the rail with the advent of braided spectra line capacity.....
  I,m glad to share and stand corrected on any errors.   Pictures dont lie. :-*