Improving the Diawa Sealine 300h

Started by gstours, November 08, 2018, 03:19:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

This is a great little reel that is a bargain usually anywhere marketed.  Good quality parts, one pc frame, great pain, anodizing, inexpencive and availalable parts butt after a few mods the reel gets waay better for almost no cost if your a diy person.

The second sst dog is a diawa part,  just modified to fit the opposite side.  Same factory stock dog.
  The area was milled down with an end mill and crossfeed vise butt it could be done with a dremel as alum is soft.  sandpaper could be used to hand finish it flat.  The double dog adds strength to the improved drag numbers if you modify the drag.

Here is the Diawa 300h brass gear,  very heavy and thickwallled for a reel this size.  The end mill can be used to cut the 6 ears for the new cf washers.  Go slow,  it will work great.

above is a custom cf dragwasher .  The keyed washers are made from some .025'' titanium sheet.

you will need 3 cf washer and 3 thinnies for the drag sandwich.  and a thick top washer.  Now I would add a Delrin washer to the top of everything,  butt this was before I/we knew that they add smoothness much like a belleville washer.
  After initial burn in tests, the reel proved to have about 25 pounds of drag.  very smooth feeling.  Much better than before.

The crank arm was built from t-6 aluminum and the knob is an Alan T .   These improvement make a great reel even better.
     I,m hoping this may help somebody out there.   I,ll soon do another on the 400h as it has a hex drag. :o
   Feel free to comment or ask questions as opinions may arise?

Darin Crofton

Great work, Gary, thanks for posting this up! Darin
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Decker

Inspiring work, Gary!  I like your "git er done" attitude and that you don't get hung up being too perfect.  What is that flap hanging over the back of the spool?  A graphite (or leather) thumb guard?

gstours

Mr Deckr,  thanks for the question,  the leather flap is a thumb protector, its a luxury item that i use on my bottomfish, halibut reels.
    easy to make,  easy on the wet skin,  we use more lead when dropping here than most people do,  It takes the wear off your thumb skin as braid is kinda slippery .   I call it a power brake.   Its an upgrade, like a better grip or power handle.    ;)

STRIPER LOU

Very nice work Gary! I'm always impressed that your willing to tackle just about anything.

Great job,  ..  Lou

gstours

I forgot to mention the fact that usually these reels are used with large baits and 1-4 pounds of lead in a jighead or cannonball sinker Hence the thumbflap....

If you,ve ever done this bottomfishing stuff,  much you know you cant just freespool the line down without some control and tension.  First,   you will have the bait tangled around it self, circle hooks won,t work upside down.  Secondly,  if you don,t feel the first or second contact with the bottom and the current from the tide is running and keep spooling line you will overide the bottom , so to say and have a large loop above and behind the bait or jig.  You will never feel the fish unless it hooks itself and pulls the lead free from the bottom.. Sounds crazy maybe?     If its rocky, you can easily donate the entire setup to the RockGods.    Its just a nicity for you....
   Thanks for the kind comments and good questions,  These ideas are here for the person to learn from.  Lots of my pictures have been lost thru time. 
  I did the first earred gear in about 2013-14 when Sal and some of you were trying to improve the 4/0 Penns.  I was new to the forum and sure am glad I joined. :D  I didn,t know that carbon fiber would be my friend yet...  The drag insert kits that are now available makes this easy, Butt they weren,t and still not much is available for the Sealine series.  I,m happy with my reels, I know the work seems crude by modern standards, I met Lee (keta) thru some posts and he volinteered to water cut some keyed drag washers for the 400 and 600 size reels eventually and this was very helpfull,  (thanks again Lee!) Many of you have added ideas and suggestions.
butt I got what I needed and am happy with the reels.   :)

Porthos

Quote from: gstours on November 09, 2018, 03:26:43 PM
  I forgot to mention the fact that usually these reels are used with large baits and 1-4 pounds of lead in a jighead or cannonball sinker Hence the thumbflap....

4lbs? Yeah, I'd want something more than just finger wrap.

steelfish

found it

thanks Gary for pointing me out to this thread.
yep, too many Mcgivering here but there is nobody better than you to prove that it worked good.

this goes beyong my paygrade on custome work of those thick main gears, but I might find someone or a local place that could make it for me, the custom washers and custom thin metal washers are doable with a dremel  :P

The Baja Guy