help me with identifying what model my penn senator is

Started by radcon91, November 08, 2018, 10:08:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

radcon91

Hey guys, im thinking about rebuilding my penn senator 9/0 and I keep seeing post about 113H and 114h etc. how do I know which reel mine is. I dont have the original box or anything like that.  I will post some pictures of it. Ive had this reel for more than 10-15 years.

Gfish

A 115 model, 9/0. I don't think they had an "H" ( high speed) for that reel. Others may know about the era of manufacture and corresponding info. thereof(i.e., type of guts, etc.)
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Bill B

The reel is a Penn Senator 115 9/0, Second Generation.  Looks like a bearing model, as opposed to a bushing model, with some modifications, the phillips screws on the side plate are not original, should be a flat head screw.  I'm guessing they are stainless steel.  Hard to determine age, but if I used the rod clamp only to age it (but it could not be original too, as the screws had been changed) it is a late USA model and not a Chinese built Penn.  Without the catalogue or box it's really hard to determine age.  Could you show us the rest of it?   Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Donnyboat

Bill, I could be wrong, I thought Penn started using roller bearings around 1980 or 82, I do stand correcting on that one though, with a bit of luck some of the experts will chime in, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

RowdyW

If it has a black aluminum spool it is a 115L 9/0. The L stands for Lightweight refering to the spool. Certain things are updated from the older 115 9/0 like ball bearings instead of bushings. A 115L is definetley a keeper and there are a lot of mods available for it if you choose to go that route. The main thing that might have to be updated is if it has a 3 disc drag setup (asbestos) it should be upgraded to 5 carbon fiber drag setup.             Rudy