Chicharron de Curvina aka fried fish Maw

Started by steelfish, November 09, 2018, 02:11:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

well, I have heard a lot of local guys preparing fish maw soup, or deep fried fish maw, and other different plates with fish maw (swim bladder)
and now that is orangemouth Curvina season and that we caught few of them between 5 guys http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=26835.0, just two of us wanted to try that part of the fish, even here that plate is considered normal (but only among the 10% of local population LOL), for many its still an exotic food that not many would like to eat or prepare as a table dish, its more a chinesse dish, not surprise there, Mexicali is the mexican city with more chinesse population in whole Mexico, San Felipe town belongs to Mexicali, so we have tons of chinese visitors since way many years.

my share of fish maw was kind of enough for at least 3 abundant plates, my first try out was to make them as deep fried fish maw (or "chicharron de buche de curvina"), if you check for online recepies for dried fish maw many them are different, I just prepared them as the captain of the boat told me, if you have more ideas on how to make it better or know a complete recipe for fish maw in a different way, Im all ears.

1. some Fish swim bladders just cleaned on iced water
2. them you make a cut along the lenght of the bledder to "open" them and clean and rinse the internal blood, dried any excess of water with a napkin and add your choice of salt, pepper, fluor and few other spices.
3. after few time on the oil they change shape, they get inflated as fried pork skin (chicharron) and even taste almost the same
4. money shot,  some fried curvina fillets, fried fish maw and rice

The Baja Guy

Reel 224

Lookin good my friend!............................ ;D Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Swami805

Those look good Alex, do you just use corvina or can you use other fish bladders too?
Do what you can with that you have where you are

steelfish

Quote from: Swami805 on November 09, 2018, 04:18:22 AM
Those look good Alex, do you just use corvina or can you use other fish bladders too?

You can use any fish's bladders.
Just on some fish they are too dificult to take it out complete.
You can try it with rockfish
But all of them are a source of natural collagen for your body
The Baja Guy

Swami805

Do what you can with that you have where you are

oc1

Thank you for that Alex.  I never knew.  What is the texture like when it is dried?
-steve

steelfish

Quote from: oc1 on November 09, 2018, 07:51:26 AM
Thank you for that Alex.  I never knew.  What is the texture like when it is dried?
-steve

Steve, when you buy fish maw dried, they are flat and thin, but once you deep fried them they "expand", so, no the texture is not the same than dried.

have you ever tried those snacks "fried pork skin"? that are sold at almost any supermarket or gas station store?
its almost the same texture, flavor, etc. but with a home-made touch

imagine eating a big chunk of crispy pork belly, but teasting and eating just the extra crispy skin/lard part (thats Chicharron)
its a crunch- crunch sound on every bite  :D

well, Fish maw, when deep fried taste really similar.

PS: for better results is recommended to fry fish maw one or two and check that every part is sumerged on oil, you will know the time needed depending on how crispy you like it, if you leave it for too long they become hard as rock
The Baja Guy

conchydong

Now that's something I need to try. I had something similar the other day made out of chicken crops.
Thanks for posting this Alex.

Scott

steelfish

Quote from: conchydong on November 09, 2018, 06:42:30 PM
Now that's something I need to try. I had something similar the other day made out of chicken crops.
Thanks for posting this Alex.

Scott

see?  now thats something I've never heard before "chicken crops", but the idea is the same.

Chicharron outta deep fried chicken skin is also really similar to this fish maw and crisp pork skin
The Baja Guy

ChileRelleno

I'd give those a try... I'm adventuresome.
Thanks for sharing those.  8)

I like all sorts of chicharrones, especially when spiced hot/spicy, e.g. Chile limon.

Here in the South there are both Pork Rinds and Chicken Rinds.

My favorite chicharrones are rehydrated, cooked in salsa and served as tacos or breakfast burritos.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

steelfish

Quote from: ChileRelleno on November 23, 2018, 12:29:54 AM
I'd give those a try... I'm adventuresome.
Thanks for sharing those.  8)

Compadre Chile, knowing your culinary skills pretty sure you will cook something delicious

Quote from: ChileRelleno on November 23, 2018, 12:29:54 AM
My favorite chicharrones are rehydrated, cooked in salsa and served as tacos or breakfast burritos.

LOL now thats a cool coincidence, normally on my way to work sometimes I stop at a street taco stand that sells the best Breakfast burritos of Chicarron in green salsa.
just like you said, you just prepare a salsa roja or verde and add the pork rinds until soft, boccato Di Cardinale!!

The Baja Guy