Oval Head Hex Drive

Started by Frank, November 10, 2018, 04:11:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

I have no trouble finding flat head hex drive screws for Newells and Penns form McMaster Car but the oval heads elude me. Anyone have a source?

Thanks,

Frank
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

RowdyW

I think it would be easier to find the Golden Fleece or a couple of hens teeth. I've been looking for years. Nothing in 5-40 ss.              Rudy

Frank

Quote from: RowdyW on November 10, 2018, 04:47:42 AM
I think it would be easier to find the Golden Fleece or a couple of hens teeth. I've been looking for years. Nothing in 5-40 ss.              Rudy

Agreed!
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

foakes

If someone could post a pic of what oval head screws are needed — along with thread size & pitch, length, etc. — I could check with a couple of obscure specialty suppliers I use for SS hardware.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

RowdyW

Fred, any 3/4 inch long 5-40 oval head ss screw. They can always be shortened as needed.        Rudy

foakes

In the 5-40 oval head Allen Hex drives in SS —what lengths would be useful to have on hand for everyone?

I know they could be shortened, like Rudy sez — but it would be easier to just pull them out of a bin ready to go.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Cortez_Conversions

Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

Tiddlerbasher

Just saying - why not try button head hex screws. They sit nice on Penn plates and don't split em so much if over tightened. If you want to try I have a few :)

RowdyW

My understanding is that a button head has a flat bottom. How will that work in a tapered hole?         

Dominick

While we are on this thread I sometimes have problems with the threads on a screw that I have cut.  Any screw that is too big for the screw cutting holes on my electric stripping pliers I have to cut some other way.  I usually put a nut on the screw and either cut it with a hacksaw or Dremel it through.  Are there any hints to protecting the threads when shortening screws?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

swill88

Quote from: Dominick on November 14, 2018, 11:54:02 PM
While we are on this thread I sometimes have problems with the threads on a screw that I have cut.  Any screw that is too big for the screw cutting holes on my electric stripping pliers I have to cut some other way.  I usually put a nut on the screw and either cut it with a hacksaw or Dremel it through.  Are there any hints to protecting the threads when shortening screws?  Dominick
Put on a nut, tight so it won't spin while gutting, before the cut.  Back the nut off over the cut to clean up the threads.  Using a nut oh harder material than the screw is ideal.
Steve

bluefish69

I use 2 Nuts tightened to each other & cut with a dramel on the threaded end. My other way is to use a old Bridge Plate & thread the screw in the hole cut with a Dramel & unscrew.

A 533 Newell needs a 5-40 X 7/8 Screw for the head plate.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Tiddlerbasher

Quote from: RowdyW on November 14, 2018, 10:05:37 PM
My understanding is that a button head has a flat bottom. How will that work in a tapered hole?         

Rudy - the flat based button heads cover the taper. If you fit a standard tapered/oval head screw (and over tighten) you can split the ring. Button heads will not split a ring but still give a neat finish - they are also available - unlike hens teeth ;). Personal preference I guess :-\

Tiddlerbasher

To shorten a screw - I screw them into the appropriate die then cut with a dremel - then unscrew the die. Maybe de-burr the end afterwards.