My first build: JM P21XN

Started by Darin Crofton, November 11, 2018, 03:03:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darin Crofton

So I finally built my first reel, after reading and learning from all you great people over the last two or three months I did it, and it was eventful to say the least!
Big thanks to Randy at Vintage Offshore, Sal's Custom Knobs, Adam at Motive Fab, Tom at Cortez Conversions, Broadway Dom and Alan at Pro Challenger for all the amazing parts that made this reel come together, and to many who gave me advice when I was "stuck". Also want to thank Alan for building this amazing site filled with info, parts and most importantly, friends! Hope you like my build, and the bloody fish pics soon to come . . . Darin

God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Yogi_fish808

That's a beautiful narrow jigmaster build! My first custom reel was a jigmaster too and the wealth of knowledge on here was the only reason I was able to do it. Your choice on power handle and arm really sets it off. Hope to see you bring in a ton of nice fish on it, nothing more satisfying than catching fish on equipment you've built. Careful now....jigs are the gateway to reel addiction, before you now it they can multiply to a shelf full. Then there's the 113h which gets u into the heavy duty stuff. Happy wrenching!

Aloha,
Kyle

Darin Crofton

Quote from: Yogi_fish808 on November 11, 2018, 04:01:07 AM
Beautiful narrow jigmaster build! My first custom build was a jigmaster too and the wealth of knowledge on here was the only reason I was able to do it. Hope to see you bring in a ton of nice fish on it, nothing more satisfying than catching fish on equipment you've put together yourself.

Aloha,
Kyle
Thanks, Kyle, I want to know what that feels like for sure!

Shark Hunter

Awesome Darin.
When I first came here, I did not know anything.
This site is like no other.
Glad to see you are taking advantage of the Ohana. ;)
Life is Good!

Yogi_fish808

I can almost guarantee you aren't finished with that reel. put some hours in fishing it hard and you'll find out things here and there that you'd like to improve more, that's the fun of it though.

This is a jig I threw all the newest goodies into

Then here's a 501 with newell kit I wanted to give an oldschool/period correct appearance. Inside she's got all the modern stainless goodies though, so it's really a resto-mod.

Reel 224

Very nice Daren. You got the bug now ;) ;D..............Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Maxed Out

Nicely done Darin

When I first started here I too was a complete novice, and to this day am still a novice. Just don't let anyone else know that  ;)  ;)

-Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

mhc

Nicely done Darin, I think the classic black and silver color combination always looks good and the black and silver handle really finishes it off.
Not to say brightly colored reels don't look good as well - nice to see the Rasta Jigmaster again Kyle.  ;D ;D

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Rivverrat

OK that does look slick. The pic you sent me  looked like you kept the stock side plates.

thorhammer

Stick it my box with the crappy 4/0. I think I have a pair of Zebco 404's from 1975 I will send back to relive your childhood. One has a broken foot but duct tape it to your cane pole and you're all good.  ;D ;D ;D

Alto Mare

Beautiful build Darin, there is no holding you back now :).
The color combination does give it a classic look. Adam's arm and star, with Broadway's fish scale pattern really adds to it....enjoy it!

Yog
Quote from: Yogi_fish808 on November 11, 2018, 04:22:55 AM
This is a jig I threw all the newest goodies into

Yogi, I could make you the perfect knob for that beauty ;D

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

ReelFishingProblems

Nice build Darin.
What's the target species gonna be?

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Darin Crofton

Thanks everybody, love this site and all it's members!

xjchad

Husband, Father, Fisherman