My first build: JM P21XN

Started by Darin Crofton, November 11, 2018, 03:03:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Three se7ens

Quote from: Darin Crofton on November 11, 2018, 03:03:43 AM
So I finally built my first reel, after reading and learning from all you great people over the last two or three months I did it, and it was eventful to say the least!
Big thanks to Randy at Vintage Offshore, Sal's Custom Knobs, Adam at Motive Fab, Tom at Cortez Conversions, Broadway Dom and Alan at Pro Challenger for all the amazing parts
that made this reel come together, and to many who gave me advice when I was "stuck". Also want to thank Alan for building this amazing site filled with info, parts
and most importantly, friends! Hope you like my build, and the bloody fish pics soon to come . . . Darin

Now thats impressive, especially for a first build.  Well done!

Darin Crofton

God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

thorhammer

Darin Crofton

Quote from: Three se7ens on November 13, 2018, 11:58:39 PM
So I finally built my first reel, after reading and learning from all you great people over the last two or three months I did it, and it was eventful to say the least!
Big thanks to Randy at Vintage Offshore, Sal's Custom Knobs, Adam at Motive Fab, Tom at Cortez Conversions, Broadway Dom and Alan at Pro Challenger for all the amazing parts
that made this reel come together, and to many who gave me advice when I was "stuck". Also want to thank Alan for building this amazing site filled with info, parts
and most importantly, friends! Hope you like my build, and the bloody fish pics soon to come . . . Darin

Now thats impressive, especially for a first build.  Well done!
Thank you, Adam, I obviously had lots of help and your killer handle arm/star really set this reel ablaze!

Darin Crofton

Quote from: thorhammer on November 14, 2018, 12:53:01 AM
where's my tracking number?
I lost it, but keep looking in the mailbox... ;D ;D ;D

Yogi_fish808

Quote from: Alto Mare on November 11, 2018, 11:58:30 AM
Beautiful build Darin, there is no holding you back now :).
The color combination does give it a classic look. Adam's arm and star, with Broadway's fish scale pattern really adds to it....enjoy it!

Yog
Quote from: Yogi_fish808 on November 11, 2018, 04:22:55 AM
This is a jig I threw all the newest goodies into

Yogi, I could make you the perfect knob for that beauty ;D

Sal

Whoa I think I'll take you up on that offer Sal! Can you make a shape similar to the torpedo penn knob but maybe about the size of a 114h knob

Donnyboat

Darin, you have a great reel there now, nice work, thanks for showing, cheers Don, I am not going to show you my first build, you will be laughing for a month.
Don, or donnyboat

Darin Crofton

Quote from: Donnyboat on November 18, 2018, 12:18:30 PM
Darin, you have a great reel there now, nice work, thanks for showing, cheers Don, I am not going to show you my first build, you will be laughing for a month.
Thank you, Don! I started the bar high, so hopefully I can afford to do better on the next one while you had plenty of room to go up without breaking your wallet ;D

Alto Mare

Quote from: Yogi_fish808 on November 18, 2018, 09:41:02 AM
Quote from: Alto Mare on November 11, 2018, 11:58:30 AM
Beautiful build Darin, there is no holding you back now :).
The color combination does give it a classic look. Adam's arm and star, with Broadway's fish scale pattern really adds to it....enjoy it!

Yog
Quote from: Yogi_fish808 on November 11, 2018, 04:22:55 AM
This is a jig I threw all the newest goodies into

Yogi, I could make you the perfect knob for that beauty ;D

Sal

Whoa I think I'll take you up on that offer Sal! Can you make a shape similar to the torpedo penn knob but maybe about the size of a 114h knob

You got it Yogi!...I will order the blank.

Check on "my custom knob" section for some images, I don't want to stain Darin's thread...

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Darin Crofton

Sal, there's no way your beautiful work would ever stain any thread, post away buddy!

Petah

Very nice!!!! Now get ready to drain the bank account!!!!! These builds are freakin addictive!!!!!
Black and silver, Raider fan????? Raidernation!!!!!!

Peter

kmstorm64

Big thanks to Randy at Vintage Offshore, Sal's Custom Knobs, Adam at Motive Fab, Tom at Cortez Conversions, Broadway Dom and Alan at Pro Challenger for all the amazing parts that made this reel come together, and to many who gave me advice when I was "stuck". Also want to thank Alan for building this amazing site filled with info, parts and most importantly, friends! Hope you like my build, and the bloody fish pics soon to come . . . Darin

I am having to get paper towels to put under my chin, I am drooling like young pup looking at a plate full of bacon!  That is one nice looking reel! That old school narrowed reel is no slouch either, hell all of them look to good to fish with!  I would hate beating them up, and I always end up nicking and dinging them, hence why I never go to that level of perfection. I would feel like I was in some Greek Tragedy, guy builds reel, Fishing Gods get jealous as reel looks better than theirs, guy "drops" (with assistance of said deity) rod in surf never to be found again or is so scraped up, he is haunted by his mistake for life, Gods are happy once again.  Lol
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!

Darin Crofton

I am having to get paper towels to put under my chin, I am drooling like young pup looking at a plate full of bacon!  That is one nice looking reel! That old school narrowed reel is no slouch either, hell all of them look to good to fish with!  I would hate beating them up, and I always end up nicking and dinging them, hence why I never go to that level of perfection. I would feel like I was in some Greek Tragedy, guy builds reel, Fishing Gods get jealous as reel looks better than theirs, guy "drops" (with assistance of said deity) rod in surf never to be found again or is so scraped up, he is haunted by his mistake for life, Gods are happy once again.  Lol
[/quote]
Thank you, I'm going to ding the hell out of it, I built it to fish and am not worried about it, but will probably wince on the first one... ;D ;D ;D

milne

Hi Darin,   Awesome first build mate.
     I too are about to get my first build underway soon, waiting for the dona reel (Squidder) and then some parts to start from Randy,
    looking forward to getting into it. There's so much knowledge on this site and tricked up parts to be had.
    Actually, I've also put aside a 4/0 I purchased years back that's going to get the same treatment..
  Luv ya work Fella !!

Col

Darin Crofton

Quote from: milne on April 20, 2019, 03:49:47 AM
Hi Darin,   Awesome first build mate.
     I too are about to get my first build underway soon, waiting for the dona reel (Squidder) and then some parts to start from Randy,
    looking forward to getting into it. There's so much knowledge on this site and tricked up parts to be had.
    Actually, I've also put aside a 4/0 I purchased years back that's going to get the same treatment..
  Luv ya work Fella !!

Col
Thank you my friend, couldn't have done it on my own, but this place and it's members truly have inspired me and for that I'm very grateful!
Can't wait to see your squidder build mate and the 4/0 as well, good luck and post some pics when you're done...