How To Get Rid Of 940 Old Fishing Reels

Started by foakes, November 12, 2018, 10:52:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Started on the lamp project a few days ago —

Have around 940 old candidates slated for these lamps, maybe some will become bookends also.

Reels are between 40 to 90 years old.

Freshwater baitcasters, spincast reels, spinning reels, fly reels, Saltwater conventionals, etc...

Many brands, lots of history.

Clean and restore the reels — mount them on a base.

Everything uses only UL approved components.

Lamps are 22" high, all components including the HD cord and plug are UL approved, 3-way switches, the wire knot inside the socket is an Underwriters approved knot, there are vinyl dots under the base to keep it from moving, the top finial is solid brass, a hole was drilled horizontally from the rear so that the 8' cord would be neat and clean, HD fender washers and lock washers were used under the lamp in a cavity bored with a Forstner flat bore bit.  Decided on solid Native American Oak and Walnut as choices.

The assembly line has fired up.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

nelz

Very nice! So are the reels removable and usable?

foakes

At this point, the prototypes are removable until I decide how to mount them.

For me, they all have to be usable and ready to operate properly — inside and out — and there will be a difference in mounting methods depending on if it is a top mounted or under-mounted reel.

And the reels must be mounted in their operational configuration — not sideways, or upside down.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Darin Crofton

What a great idea, Fred! The bookends sound pretty cool as well! Darin
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Alto Mare

Very nice Fred! those would look nice in anyone's man cave...good job!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Gfish

When you first mentioned this project, I envisioned a pile of reels welded together to make a base & stand!?!?...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Bryan Young

Cool looking project Fred. Ugg, the knot. I don't know who at UL approved this. It was not allowed before. Before the cord needed a real strain relief. Someone let a customer the knot and its was game over as it could lead to unfair trade. Knots were not allowed before. That is all I have to say about that.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

foakes

In doing some research, Bryan —

The underwriters knot started to be used in lamps in 1944 as a way to eliminate strain on the lamp socket connection terminals.

Works OK — simple enough.

Over the years, I have installed many, many ceiling fans with and without light kits.  On some of the most expensive ones — no knot guidelines were followed from the factory.  On some of the cheapest ones — everything was clean with safe connections with a good UL knot (not a square knot that could possibly pull and scrape off some insulation).

So I just pay attention to plug polarity, right wire to each terminal for proper polarity, and no chance of the wire connection being pulled away from the socket screw lugs.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Brewcrafter

Beautiful workmanship Fred!  And in looking around my own "pile of stuff" and I suspect I am not alone in this - I have a handful of reels with great sentimental value that to be honest, while they are still 100% fishable I never really use them since it never quite "feels right".  This looks like a great alternative for those kinds of reels so they can become an attractive conversation piece in the open instead of sitting in a box in the shop.  What an awesome idea, and thanks for sharing! - John

gumpie44

Great Project Fred !!  Great Way To Re-Purpose Those Old Reels.  Easy To Repeat And Very Useful. Did A Project Myself Using Broken Rods And Reels I Wanted To Keep. Used Thrift Store Lamps As Beginning. Best Of Luck With Your Project,
Barry
Barry
Carpe  Diem   The Days Go Fast

foakes

--------

Fred O.

Tiddlerbasher

Lovely work as always Fred. The knot in the cable I don't like - any way it would be against wiring regulations in the UK and other countries.

Keta

Nice but some of the older reels should not be modified.

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on November 13, 2018, 03:23:53 PM
The knot in the cable I don't like -

X2
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

foakes

None of the reels are, or will be modified, Lee — only original.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

El Pescador

Fred!

Beautiful reel lamps to say the least!!!

If you make one using a Penn 970 please put my name on it!!!! ;D

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!