Casting a 30.

Started by Keta, November 13, 2018, 03:48:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

I was bored yesterday and had my Avet EX30 and 7' Seeker 2x4 handy and was thinking BFT.  I put the reel on the rod, tied a 150gr flat fall jig on to it and went out to the pasture to see if I could cast it.  The rig is heavy but I made several 100'-125' casts.  I never thought I could cast with something this big.  I don't think I'm strong enough to try this with a 50.

I have extra drag cams and plan on tinkering with cast control by modifying one.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

steelfish

those are great distance Lee for a reel that size with 5oz lure using an offshore HD rod.

The Baja Guy

SoCalAngler

Nice distance there. Just remember the flatfalls are mostly fished yoyo style so no casting needed. By the time you reach the depth of the BFT with the drift of the boat your jig will be further than you can cast. After 7-10 drop and retrieves your jig will be way further out than you can cast. Be ready on the drop as about 1/2 of the bites come on the fall. When dropping use as much freespool as you can and if you feel anything strange at all put the reel into gear and see if you have been picked up.

Keta

When we were there on the SOA the fish would not get under the boat but we were drifting.   

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

SoCalAngler

Yeah BFT are known for that. But, when you fish the FF jigs you can just drop them over the side, of course with the wind in your face. Most of the time the bulk of the fish are holding deeper around 200' or more and thats even if you see surface fish feeding. By the time you get the jig into the zone where the fish are the boat has drifted. And like I said if you keep fishing in that zone after several drops and retrieves your jig should be a good ways from where you dropped it in. That is of course if you don't reel the jig all the way back to the boat on each drop. I try to drop mine past the depth of the fish and reel through them, after I get up to say 100' or so I re-drop. I'll do this several times depending on the boats drift speed. Once the reels line is at too great of a angle or I don't have enough line left on my reel, I reel all the way back to the boat and start the whole thing all over again, or move to bait.

Don't get me wrong casting is fine but most of the time not really needed. If those fish see and want that jig they can cover 100 yards very fast.

Keta

Quote from: SoCalAngler on November 16, 2018, 07:37:34 PM

Don't get me wrong casting is fine but most of the time not really needed. If those fish see and want that jig they can cover 100 yards very fast.

I'm mostly playing around to see what can be done.  I taped my longest cast so far at 225'.  The 2x4 and the EX30 are heavy!  It's easier to cast my MX or my OCEA Jigger 2001....a LOT easier.  I might put a clothespin on the 30 and see how far (close) I can cast with it.

Mark Twain

SoCalAngler

Sounds like your getting good distance. The clothes pin thing might be good to learn to cast smaller baits. But, even a medium sized dean weighs more than a clothes pin. I think that setup would be for bigger baits like large deans being the smallest then macks and such. I would practice with the size and weight you plan to fish on that setup.

Anyway, it looks like your doing well.

ez2cdave

Quote from: Keta on November 13, 2018, 03:48:18 PM
I was bored yesterday and had my Avet EX30 and 7' Seeker 2x4 handy and was thinking BFT.  I put the reel on the rod, tied a 150gr flat fall jig on to it and went out to the pasture to see if I could cast it.  The rig is heavy but I made several 100'-125' casts.  I never thought I could cast with something this big.  I don't think I'm strong enough to try this with a 50.

I have extra drag cams and plan on tinkering with cast control by modifying one.

Those distances ( impressive for a 7ft rod ) would be even greater if you mounted it on a 13ft "Heaver", rated for 6-12 oz  !

Tight Lines !

Rivverrat

Dang Lee like to see what you could do with a 12 or 16 VISX... Jeff

Keta

I just about picked up a 12 for a good price but I decided to not really need it.  Once I get the TRQ40NLD2 spooled I'll cast with a reel I will use for casting.

Mark Twain

SoCalAngler

I just got a Fathom 40NLD2 and use it for 60 only fished it on one trip but no biters on that setup yet. I'm sure you will love the Torque. If you want more out of that reel Cal Sheets has some mods for them. I really don't see a need for it  yet for my application but who knows what the future holds?

Keta

I was looking at a FTH40NLD2 but the Torque offer was hard to turn down.  I did convince a friend to go with the Fathom 40N, he was considering a Avet HXW or a Fathom FTH60LD2.

Mark Twain