Birthday sharking 11/13/18

Started by xjchad, November 14, 2018, 06:17:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xjchad

My birthday was Monday and I dislike getting older  :-\  BUT, I love being spoiled by my wife and kids  ;D
We started a tradition several years ago of making our birthday cards for one another rather than buying them.  I love this and highly recommend it!

I also got some great tunes for my commute!

We had a relaxing evening eating pizza and watching a movie, then got the kiddos to bed.  My wife conked out on the couch so I started a new show on Netflix called Norsemen.  Great show!  ;D

So on to the fishing....
The next night I met my Dad at a new spot I'd been wanting to try.  Conditions were perfect!  No wind, or salad to deal with and the surf was so calm I could wade out knee deep and not get my shorts wet. 
We had a pretty relaxing time since there weren't any bites for the first hour or so.  Then I had bump on one of my rods and when I checked it, it was snagged.  While I was breaking off the snag, my Dad picked up my other rod because it had gone slack, then he said I think there's something here!  We traded rods and sure enough I feel a bump bump and set the hook, fish on!  I could tell right away it was the right kind although it felt small.  After a short fight I was able to drag this 63" male Sevengill up on the sand.

Husband, Father, Fisherman

steelfish

cant get better than this

seems like an awesome Bday to me
congrats
The Baja Guy

Benni3

Great birthday :D nice shark,,,nice music,, ;D

Darin Crofton

What reel did you use, one of your new creations??? Happy Belated Birthday Brother!!!
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Alto Mare

Nice way to celebrate! Happy Birthday Chad!
I've been making cards for the past 33 years, but my wife buyers hers, she can't draw😁.
My kids, now 21 and 25 have been making them for a long time.
As your family, we really appreciate those more than the store bought.
Nice selection of music as well... keep up with your great traditions....those are priceless.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

xjchad

Quote from: Darin Crofton on November 14, 2018, 10:33:07 PM
What reel did you use, one of your new creations??? Happy Belated Birthday Brother!!!

I caught it on my 9500SS and Prevail 12' heavy rod.
Was hoping to catch one on my 970/Emcast combo, but that's the one that go hung up.

Quote from: Alto Mare on November 14, 2018, 10:36:39 PM
Nice way to celebrate! Happy Birthday Chad!
I've been making cards for the past 33 years, but my wife buyers hers, she can't draw😁.
My kids, now 21 and 25 have been making them for a long time.
As your family, we really appreciate those more than the store bought.
Nice selection of music as well... keep up with your great traditions....those are priceless.

Sal

Sal,
I'd love to see some of the cards you've made, I'm sure they are as impressive as the rest of your creations!
It's really cool to hear of other families doing the same thing!

Swami805

Happy birthday Chad! I make birthday cards for family members too. A great tradition.
Nice sevengill!
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Shark Hunter

Happy Birthday Chad!
I'll take 5 footers all day.
Small and Feisty, but bigger than most anything you catch in Freshwater other than a big cat.
On a spinner, it makes it more rewarding.
Congrats on the catch and glad you enjoyed yourself. ;)
Life is Good!

Tiddlerbasher

Happy birthday Chad and many more of them :)

Steve-O

Happy Birthday, Chad!  From another who shares the same date of birth.

Seems both our sets of parents were passionately in love that Valentine's Day way back when. ::)   ;)

Steve

Oh...and congrats on the catch, too! ;D

Dominick

Happy birthday Chad and Steve-O.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

xjchad

Thank you all! 

Happy birthday to you too Steve-O!

biggiesmalls

happy belated birthday Chad. Love those cards - that's what we've always done as well.
Love seeing those sharks even more - I'd love to get out to the west coast and do some surf fishing someday.

I'm with Daron on this one - give me 5-6' sharks all day long, or even 2-4' on snook/jack gear. I've pretty much given up heavier conventional fishing, much more effort than just packing a spinner/small conventional and having fun with the smaller sharks which are still not "small", as Daron said.

Drew

Gobi King

Happy Belated B-Day Chad, save those cards bro!

Nice shark ;-)
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan