220N help

Started by horsehunter, November 15, 2018, 04:29:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

horsehunter

I purchased a 220n at a used tackle sale because of how much I liked a 110 I've had for over 35 years.
I find that the line does not wind evenly on the spool it builds up higher at the back of the spool. t looks as if when winding the spool either dosen't retract far enough and advances too far forward . I can not see any problems with the gearing and the reel is very smooth. I understand there is a difference between the 220n and 220 spools is it possible I have the wrong spool? Any other Ideas?
Under the spool there is a screw head indicator and 3 marks L M H what is the purpose of this?

Thanks in advance for any ideas

foakes

Welcome, HH —

The L-M-H is to adjust the bail snap-back pressure to your preference or angling conditions (Low, Medium, High).

Likely you have an extra washer under the spool, or something out of order, or not correct in the washer stack under the spool.

The other very possible cause for uneven line-lay would be a tweaked or bent bail, or bail attachment arm.

A 220N and 220 spool will not interchange —and if tried, will require the wasting and cutting of a part to remove it.

I will post a diagram of the proper washer sequence in a few minutes.

These are all simple adjustments or fixes.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

horsehunter

Thanks for your reply the washers seem to be correct and I don't see anything out of line with the line roller thoroughly confused.

foakes

Pics might help of the entire reel, including the bail trip lever, under spool, etc.

But the easiest way, would be to compare it to a new 220N.  And that would be done up close and in person.  Too many variables for guesswork without having both reels on the bench.

It only takes a little bend to mess up the line lay.  And that is generally not evident at a glance unless you have worked on others like this.

Glad to help, if possible —

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

If the spool mechanism has been completely taken apart and serviced sometimes you have to tighten the drag nut down as far as it will go to seat the spindle and spindle washers completely. Once seated, back off the drag nut to the correct tension. On rare occasions, if all is well with correct bail alignment and angle, one of the spindle washers may need to be replaced with a thinner washer, or maybe even eliminated completely. I've run into that scenario a couple of times, but not often. A little tension on the retrieve also helps for better line lay. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

horsehunter

Thanks is there a down side to running without one or both spindle washers. Tightening the drag nut down then backing off and removing a washer seems to make things line up much better.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: horsehunter on November 17, 2018, 01:18:10 PM
Thanks is there a down side to running without one or both spindle washers. Tightening the drag nut down then backing off and removing a washer seems to make things line up much better.

You should have the asbestos & at least one metal washer if at all possible. A lot can be gained by bail arm & roller alignment so check that very closely. You'd be amazed at what difference a small adjustment can make. Try to post a good photo of the bail arm side so we can view how things line up.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

horsehunter

which s the asbestos washer I removed 1 washer marked #14.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: horsehunter on November 17, 2018, 07:50:16 PM
which s the asbestos washer I removed 1 washer marked #14.

On Fred's schematic above, #37.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE