Spool blow out?

Started by Christopher M Songer, November 15, 2018, 09:18:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christopher M Songer

Just got 5 Okuma 20DX, all had the mono blow out the spool. Is it filling these low end reels too tightly and the thin side walls give out under the pressure or the the reels get left out in the sun wet and the line swells up? Probable both I suppose. Have not seen this happen with braid yet.
Always go forward, never go straight

sdlehr

This became a problem for plastic Penn spools when mono first came out. It's elastic, and when spooled tightly can place tremendous pressure on the spool - enough to blow out, as you've found the hard way. The solution was to use braid with a mono topshot, or to use a dacron backing and not fill the spool with mono. Or use a metal spool.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Reel 224

I can attest that your not the first, and not the last. Sid is right with his suggestion...............................Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Keta

Quote from: sdlehr on November 15, 2018, 09:47:53 PM
The solution was to use braid with a mono topshot, or to use a dacron backing and not fill the spool with mono. Or use a metal spool.

I have Dacron backing on my metal spools too.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Christopher M Songer

Thanks, these are not my reels, I am replacing all the spools and various other pieces as needed. I just want to advice the owner so he can avoid this again. I happen to have 11 of these to work on at the moment. The others belong to a different owner and the spools are OK he is getting a deep clean, lube and carbon fiber drag upgrade on his 6.
Always go forward, never go straight