Octopus head pattern

Started by gstours, November 16, 2018, 03:11:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

Here's my first octopus 🐙 head pattern for the mold I,m planning on making this winter.  Kinda rough butt I had to start somewhere,  and have learned a lot.   

gstours

The eye sockets are scuff free recessed, the knob on the tail shaft is to tie to to keep the plastic skirt from sliding down,  the sst hook loop will be through this tail shaft.   The loop for the line will be carved into the mold wherever desired.   Another view.

gstours

I'm not going to waste a lot of time shaping the first one,  it's more of a learning thing.

gstours

I can't make a mold without a pattern.  I didn't have anything better to copy so I'm assuming this one will be 16-20 oz. in lead.   Tomorrow I'll try to show you another.🤦‍♀️🎣🐙

gstours

The body is made from Dunham's wood putty powder n water.  It set quite quick and is hard, yet can be sanded,  several layers are used, like bondo on you old truck, or drywall repair in your house.

gstours

A short ps of tube is hot glued from the inside of the tube ring and adjusted quickly.

gstours

Then the next addition of Dunham can be added to form the eyes.

gstours

One built up with the raised eyes 👀 and dry 4-6 hrs then he tubes can be easily removed.

gstours

Just heat the inside of the tube and the glue will give up, the tube is vinyl and becomes soft and a needle nose pliers will grab it and simply twist it out while pulling up.

gstours

Here it is,  the body now can be shaped more, and additional putty added where desired.  Sanding can now finish the shaping,  painting will harden the exterior for the mold.  And the eyes for the hook and line attachments can be added one the mold is built.
    This one will be at least 16 oz.   butt that's a start.   Thanks 🙏.

jzumi

Very nice work!  The shape is quite similar to the ling cod killers that I purchase.  Deadly effective.

I bang them on the rocks and the paint chips off.  Once that happens, they really don't fish as well.

What are you going to use for paint? 

John

gstours

Thanks for the paint question.  I,m thinking a white base coat at first using white oil enamel added to some clear extra time clear epoxy.
   Ive had good results with this method on factory lead heads.  Then a top cote of glow in the dark possibly?  Using a 6-9 rpm motor helps keep the head fro paint sags.   Slow butt.   Its worth waiting for. ???
        What colors do you prefer?   Is it better to simulate natural colors?  Oar go for more visibility down there.
As you can see i,m about to make several molds,  Butt i,m working on a couple of patterns first. ;)

David Hall

seems like rock fish will go after an octopus faster than anything.  cant wait to see one of them finished up.

jurelometer

Looking good Gary!

A couple thoughts:

1.  Eye placement/ balance:   Think about how you want the jig to drop and lat ride under tension.   This can help in terms of how well it sinks, and how it rides under tension.  Sinking fast,  riding over snags , etc.

2.  If you want to estimate the weight, you can immerse the master  in a measuring cup and then remove.  The difference in volume can be multiplied by the density of the lead you are using.  Pure lead is around 11.3 gr per cc.   The lightest alloy is about 7.  10 is a good number if you are remelting sinkers mixed with wheel weights and other scavenged lead.

3.  Nobody likes it when I say this, but the deeper and less clear the water is, the more contrast matters, and the less color matters.  Most saltwater fish  that spend the bulk of their life below 30 feet in typical visibility have no  ability to see colors beyond maybe blue and for a few,  some green.

If you want to go contrast for the fish looking up or sideways in open  water with no background, go dark.  Fish looking down or level with some background  ( like rocks), go white.   Fluorescent  colors take UV light which is not very directional but penetrates deeper in the water column and transforms it to a different frequency  (color) that is more directional.  Fluoro chartreuse is great for fish that are looking for green,  fluoro  pink is just a neutral brighter flash  for most species that cannot see red (many saltwater species).  I lurve fluoro pink.

Your AT.com resident contrarian,

-J

Cor

This is a nice project, to make the lure from scratch!
I find nothing more gratifying then to catch a fish on tackle I made myself.

Use teddy bear eyes like these https://www.google.co.za/search?q=toy+eyes&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjLl4-Rtt3eAhUOOsAKHUrxAsMQsAR6BAgGEAE&biw=1264&bih=909

Good luck.
Cornelis