Fishing on Base

Started by ReelFishingProblems, November 16, 2018, 11:07:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReelFishingProblems

I've lived on MacDill Air Force Bass now for just over 4 months. It is located right on the Tampa Bay so you can bet I have fished more days of the week than not. I am pretty consistently catching Snook, and have a few spots for mangrove snapper.
Today we had a Thanksgiving potluck and were released at 1400. No kids, wife at work.... fishing

Not the best tide (very low tide) but managed a nice snook and a bonnethead shark. Bonnethead was 36" from tip to tip. Very fun to catch. The only bad thing is fishing by myself I don't get the best pictures.

alantani

looks good, nick.  probably better fishing there than here in california, huh......   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

George6308

Nice fish. Nice jacket too. Thank you for your service..

Darin Crofton

God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

xjchad

Husband, Father, Fisherman

Shark Hunter

Nice Bonnet Head Nick!
I have yet to catch one of those.When I was stationed in Orlando, I fished in a big pond on base.
Nice Largemouth in there.
Sometimes I would walk around instead of fishing on the dock, until I saw a pretty big gator.
I stayed on the dock after that.
Life is Good!

ReelFishingProblems

Alan, I miss the fishing there. Fishing for rockfish and cabezon from shore almost every day was what got me hooked again. Before that, I hadn't fished regularly since I was a kid in Oregon. With your boat, you proved to me  that any day you could go out and put meat on the table and in the freezer.

Fishing here is great. Different species, requiring different techniques, and more days where weather doesn't shut you out. I still need to get to the east coast to fish for what they have to offer, and I could fish every day here and not get tired of it. There are also some great members here in the Tampa Bay who have truly enriched the experience.

We have a few nice ponds on base here, and they too hold nice bass. They also hold other, toothy, critters too!

Gfish

Hard to beat bottom fishing on the Pac. coast with those rich cool productive waters. A "Bonnet head? That's a new one. Amazing how much variation there is in shark species.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Alto Mare

Nice fishing Nick! I think you did a pretty good job with the pics.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

oldmanjoe

:) There is a lot of good fishing around the base , low / no pressure from the boaters .
  Who ran more the bonnet or the snook ?
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

ReelFishingProblems

Quote from: oldmanjoe on November 17, 2018, 01:34:42 PM
:) There is a lot of good fishing around the base , low / no pressure from the boaters .
  Who ran more the bonnet or the snook ?
The snook wasn't very big. So on a Penn Clash 4000 it didn't run much. The bonnethead pulled slow but strong. A blast to catch

oc1

Good going.  All snook are big enough to be fun.
-steve

Rivverrat

Those pics are just fine. Their taken in the moment air they have adds to them That shark is very unique to me... Jeff

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

biggiesmalls

Nice work Nick.
Would love to get back down there and chase some snook. Hands down - best gamefish in the US.
Those 2-4' sharks like bonnetheads and blacktips are a whole lotta fun on snook gear, too .

Drew