My mill lathe and mill 3 in 1 machine

Started by mikeysm, November 17, 2018, 08:42:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeysm

Here is my 3 in 1 lathe and mill. It's a ongoing project.

Mike

Reel 224

Is it home made, and does the DRO work on The lathe  also..............................Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

mikeysm

It's a shoptask that I had to disasembled and went through to make it worth using. I added longer posts for the mill that were chrome plated. All the bushings were remade and the gears were bead blasted and deburred. All the soft bolts were replaced. All new way strips were installed. I removed some of the bushings and replaced them with bearings where ever I could. I recut the ways on the mill table. Also I made a new spindle housing for the mill out of 4140 HT. I also had to machine the tail stock to make it useable. I replaced the motors and added two VFD drives so i could eliminate the heavy pullys. And yes the dro does work.

Mike

Swami805

Looks really nice and functional, looking forward to seeing what you produce with it.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Donnyboat

Mike thanks for posting, nice work, you should be able to do some good work with it, cant wait, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Reel 224

The box on the right, Is that a speed control and did you make that as well?...........................Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

mikeysm

The box has two AC/Tech 120v single phase to 220v three phase VFD drives. The box I picked up off or ebay. I installed and wired the box and motors.

Mike

Reel 224

So they run on 120V & 220-3Ph  is the 220 for the motor's and 120AC for the DRO and other controls? It looks pretty interesting for someone to build. You must have experience in electrical engineering.Nice job so far........................Joe     

mikeysm

The drive converts 220v AC to 220v three phase.  So I can plug them into a 20-30 amp plug. Everything is twist lock so I can disconnect the box if i need to move the machine.

Mike

Reel 224

Be interesting to see you do some work on it in the future.......................Joe

Tiddlerbasher

Very nice Mike - now lets see you using it ;D