Upgrading a 112 black

Started by Darin Crofton, November 18, 2018, 03:55:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darin Crofton

I need some direction please. I have a 112 that I want to use on a kite rod, but using it for a teaser reel. The reel is old and needs servicing.
I'd like to make it a little stronger because the teaser I'm using creates a lot of drag. I know this is a lower geared reel, but wanting to know
what upgrades are available like drag, ss sleeve etc. Thank you in advance! Darin
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Reel 224

Quote from: Darin Crofton on November 18, 2018, 03:55:04 AM
I need some direction please. I have a 112 that I want to use on a kite rod, but using it for a teaser reel. The reel is old and needs servicing.
I'd like to make it a little stronger because the teaser I'm using creates a lot of drag. I know this is a lower geared reel, but wanting to know
what upgrades are available like drag, ss sleeve etc. Thank you in advance! Darin

Send it my way, I'll fix it up for you ;D..................................Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Darin Crofton

Quote from: Reel 224 on November 18, 2018, 03:59:26 AM
Quote from: Darin Crofton on November 18, 2018, 03:55:04 AM

Send it my way, I'll fix it up for you ;D..................................Joe
what do you have up your sleeve, Joe ;D ;D ;D

Reel 224

Nothing :-X Just saying..........................Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Darin Crofton

Quote from: Reel 224 on November 18, 2018, 04:06:46 AM
Nothing :-X Just saying..........................Joe
Well if you're serious I'll gladly send it your way, I've only put together two reels at this point, so help is always welcomed. Thank you!!!

Reel 224

Bryan Young

Darin,

Does it have an aluminum spool?  If not, I have one for you. Please let me know where to send the spool to. No charge.

Bryan

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Darin Crofton

Quote from: Bryan Young on November 18, 2018, 05:07:29 AM
Darin,

Does it have an aluminum spool?  If not, I have one for you. Please let me know where to send the spool to. No charge.

Bryan

Wow, thanks Bryan, it has a chrome looking spool not an aluminum one. I'll send you a PM now...

Ron Jones

Bryan also makes a fantastic drag kit for the 112. It can become a super strong reel when it is all done. The only thing that isn't available is a stronger stand, so make sure you use a solid clamp.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Darin Crofton

Quote from: Ron Jones on November 18, 2018, 06:52:19 AM
Bryan also makes a fantastic drag kit for the 112. It can become a super strong reel when it is all done. The only thing that isn't available is a stronger stand, so make sure you use a solid clamp.
The Man
Ron, I didn't know that, I will get with him on that, thank you! Darin

Bryan Young

Quote from: Ron Jones on November 18, 2018, 06:52:19 AM
The Man
Hi Ron, Does my 5-60 kit fit in the 112?  I have never installed this kit in the 112 because I don't have a reel to confirm fitment.  Please advise.

Thanks,
Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Ron Jones

The 112 uses the 66 gear, just like the 113. You can put your big kit in it, which is why it can be such a strong reel. In fact, when I was wiped out and using 50 pound gear on fish that could have been caught with 30, a nice, slow, bullet proof 112 mounted to a broom handle would have been nice.

The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Bryan Young

Thanks Ron. I sent a kit to Joe for Darin's reel. If it fits well, I will need to revise the description.

Darin Crofton

Quote from: Ron Jones on November 18, 2018, 07:24:29 AM
The 112 uses the 66 gear, just like the 113. You can put your big kit in it, which is why it can be such a strong reel. In fact, when I was wiped out and using 50 pound gear on fish that could have been caught with 30, a nice, slow, bullet proof 112 mounted to a broom handle would have been nice.

The Man
This is exciting, thanks for the heads up, Ron!!!
Quote from: Bryan Young on November 18, 2018, 07:26:54 AM
Thanks Ron. I sent a kit to Joe for Darin's reel. If it fits well, I will need to revise the description.
Thank you!!!

thorhammer

Bry-Bry, never heard of aluminum spool on a 112- that's a unicorn!

Darin, recco a power handle too. The stock 24-66 on that reel is going to suck reeling in a kite.