record no. 60

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 04:52:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Jones

I used to be a proponent of "bigger isn't better," but then I read a piece that made it clear that diameter matters but surface area does not. In other words, if your star was in a particular spot that gave you 10#s of drag and you opened up the drag stack and made all of your disks look like Swiss cheese, assuming your disks were still strong enough to not fall apart and you left the outer edge intact, you would still have 10#s of drag when you reassembled the stack and put the star in the same spot. This is why Alan's new 500 and 113H drags work even with the big hole in the middle for the 500. The outer circumference is the same.

I'm not going to start Swiss cheesing my drag disks, so for me bigger and more is always better.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

FatTuna

I've read that too but my question is: is the drag just as smooth with less surface area?

Ron Jones

I can only theorize, but it seems to me that as long as both disks have no holes then they should be similar in smoothness. One of the advantages noted over and over on here about adding disks is getting adequate drag that is silky smooth. For instance, A 5+1 113H can produce way more drag than needed for 40# mono. A 3+1 can produce adequate drag for 40# mono. If you adjust the 5+1 to slightly more drag than the 3+1 is capable of, you have more than adequate drag that is very smooth because you are not running it at max. Bigger disks provide more drag but if you don't use it all you get more smooth drag.

Best I can give you.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

steelfish

Quote from: alantani on December 07, 2008, 04:52:43 PM
i pulled it out of the box and the first thing i noticed was the weight.  it's heavy!  much heavier that a normal ambassaduer.  i ran into the house and grabbed my camera.  i've done an ambassaduer post already, but i knew this one would be different.

so, what was the main reason of the weight difference on the record 60 and regular abu c3/c4?
I know the record feels more sturdy but it was reinforced on every single part in general or which parts were reinforced to gain that much weight?

I just got a used Record 60 in really good shape and I can clearly feel the difference in weight compared to my c3, I havent weighted on a balance but feels maybe as heavy as my abu 7000c
The Baja Guy

Prefessa

So the unique thing about this reel is when the spool is adjusted for optimal casting , there is still left/right travel on the spool.

Does that create any issuers in use...like eating line?

Also...is it worth it to go the full magilla
And add a ball bearing level wind?

This is going to be my off the beach reel...(no Jetties!!)

Still haven't spooled it up...... 

Gfish

Never had onea these in-hand. But I'd think that adjusting the centrifical brake weights would be the best way to control the cast after getting the spool adjusted.
The bushing; I have an old Ambassadeur 5000 and there's brass lookin bushings on both sides(with spool adjusting caps for both sides/bushings) and it casts great. To me, the Record 60's bushing would be one less ball bearing to get corroded and have to service or replace.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!