Reel-Deal Transmission..

Started by Yellowcat, November 19, 2018, 07:31:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yellowcat

High speed gearing from the 60's. Back then the fastest gear ratios were maybe 4:1, not like now when you can buy reels with 8:1 gears and even a little higher than that. This was a bolt-on deal with 3:1 gears inside that multiply the ratio of a given reel X3. In this case it's a Penn 100 Surfmaster with standard 3:1 gearing. With the Reel-Deal trans. it becomes 9:1. It would also fit other Penn's like Squidder's, Jigmaster's and others too. Put it on a standard Jigmaster and you get a 12:1 ratio! Whatever reel it's on, it also becomes a 2 speed reel. Push the knob in and you have stock gearing, pull it out and you get 3X original ratio. I originally got it for tossing iron jigs for West Coast Bonito and Barracuda that like really fast retrieves. It's a little clunky compared to modern high precision stuff but it works and is kinda more fun to use!
"If you didn't put it together with your own hands, it's not really yours"  -Tim Allen  'Tool Time'

Rivverrat

I see these every now & then. love to have one to take apart... Jeff

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Penn Chronology

QuoteI see these every now & then. love to have one to take apart... Jeff

Just a simple transmission. Self explanatory when you take it down. The biggest problem I find when installing one of these is getting the alignment relationship correct between the gear box and the reel. Sometimes it can make you crazy and sometimes they work smooth as silk.

Decker

I have one of these for parts if anyone is interested.  Came attached to a Squidder, and seems to be missing the shifting knob and nut.